Question about goat birth if help is needed

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping that all will go well when my does have their kids this Spring/Summer, but I also want to make sure that I am prepared in the event of an emergency. :)
If a kid is not coming out properly and I need to help it come out, would it be better to wear gloves or not? I have some gloves (I think they're latex) that say they are non-sterile... what would be the best thing for me to do?
Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gloves are best, it is really much for your own protection than the animals. There are many nasty's in the birthing fluids that can be very bad for humans.
Having said that,, sometimes a person may not have time to go run and get the birthing kit and you do what you gotta do. ALWAYS thoroughly wash your hands after handling any birthing fluids.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Southern is right that gloves are best but I will say I hate them. I have only found one set that I actually like and will keep on if I need to "go in" to untangle kids. If I got in barehanded, I always scrub with hot water afterwards. Were I to have a cut on my hand, I think I'd be sure to wear gloves though for added protection.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use gloves when I have them for safety of everyone involved, but without gloves, it is actually easier to identify different babies and whos parts belong to whom while trying to reposition. Definitely keep a box of your favorite gloves around. I really like them for cleaning up the afterbirth and other yuckies. Much easier to use a gloved hand than trying to pick it up with the plastic bag turned inside out....

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Had to look up the kind I like. They are Kimberly-Clark purple nitrile gloves. They don't shred, fit snugly. I think I bought ours at Costco.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't use gloves when pulling babies. Often when I find ewes in distress lambing I am more in a "I need to help her right away" rather than "let me go get gloves and wash up." Especially when babies are stuck, sometimes if they're stuck too long they are born weak and/or dead.

Latest posts