QUESTION ABOUT PROCESSING

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you need to remove food 12-24 hours before processing??
Does everyone wet down the rabbit before skinning??

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We dont remove food before we harvest. And we dont wet down rabbit ti skin it. Good luck with your first harvest!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've only harvested once but the videos I watched showed to wet down the rabbit after dispatching but before skinning. I did wet it down and had no problem with the hair getting on the meat.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
x3 I see no reason so wet the rabbit as I get very little hair on the carcuss. At times, I have held back the food and water for 12 hours. I do prefer it, but don't always remember to. I get a bit annoyed working around a full bladder.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didn't. I didn't have any problems, other than the bladder was full, but it wasn't a big problem. Also didn't have hairs on the meat. I did rinse it's after, just to get the extra blood off.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ive never heard of getting them wet. Sounds messy.
As for withholding feed. I don't bother. Although if your going to butcher it does seem silly to waste a days ration.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I like to wet my rabbits down before skinning. It's just a lot easier keeping the hair off the meat. As far as feeding them... well, I give them the choice of anything they want for that last meal.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hang mine up on a gambrel. I have not noted hair being a problem. what little does get on the carcass rinses off easily during the cold water soak phase. I like to soak the carcass in a saltwater with a dash of vinegar for a few hours. The vinegar just inhibits bacteria growth. The soak is done in refrigerator.

Latest posts