question about registering multiple breeds of goats

shatessa

Just born
Reaction score
Screenshot_2015-06-30-11-15-33-1.png

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You only need one herd name, it is not by breed.

As to your second question, do you mean double registered with ADGA and AGS?

shatessa

Just born
Reaction score
Yes, well I would like to eventually have meat and dairy goats, possibly experiment with other breeds and was wondering how that worked for others? Was it hard to find the same name available to all registries.

shatessa

Just born
Reaction score
& if I where to have to have 2 different name and number sequences, those goats would have to have 2 tattoos correct?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about meat goats.
A lot of people have Nigerians Dwarfs in 3 registries (we do not) ADGA, AGS, and NDGA. I think it would be easy if you could find a herd name available in all registries.

But sometimes a herd name is already taken in one registry.
I have a doe we bought who was only registered in AGS with a herd name of Little Flowers and a tatoo of LF.
We wanted to register her with ADGA but the LF tatoo was already used by another farm.
So, we had to add a Q to her tail web.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are doing 2 or more dairy goat registries I would try to have the same tattoo & herd name. I think dealing with 2 different names and tattoos would be more hassle then its worth. It may also be confusing to costumers etc.

Yes, well I would like to eventually have meat and dairy goats, possibly experiment with other breeds and was wondering how that worked for others? Was it hard to find the same name available to all registries.
Same idea with the meat goat registries. It doesn't have to be the same heard name as the dairy goats but just make sure if you use more then one meat goat registry that you are using the same tattoo & name.

I would call the registries to see if your herd name and tattoo are taken. That IMO is the easiest way when dealing with several registries

shatessa

Just born
Reaction score
If I am to register my herd with the AGS only, will future buyers still have the option to double register that goat if they wish to?