RABIES IN GOATS!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I just read an article on the internet that there is a health alert in Sarasota Florida for Rabies, based on a Goat that got rabies from an animal bite. I checked several websites and it seems to be legitimate.

I thought that goats didn't get rabies or carry it. This is extremely unusual, but has me very concerned. Do we need to get our goats vaccinated? Anyone?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's not unusual at all
Last year there was a story locally of several goats on one farm with rabies
And a few years ago there was a show in NY that dozens of people had to be treated because they were exposed to a goat with rabies
We vaccinate ours

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many cases here in NC and the rabies vaccines are definitely being pushed more and understandably so.

A few years back just down the road a cattle farmers livestock Guardian donkey died from rabies and something like 3 or 6 (can't remember) ended up with rabies. Farm was quarantined for months. Understandably so.

The biggest issue is rabies is not approved in goats. So why is that a problem? Because your farm may still be quarantined and animals destroyed anyway. :\ It seems the many "agencies" involved just cannot decide what to do.:mad:

None of our vets think we really need it as we have so many LGD's (they are vaccinated) that the likelihood of a predator getting to a goat is pretty much just not gonna happen but we have the option.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many cases here in NC and the rabies vaccines are definitely being pushed more and understandably so.

A few years back just down the road a cattle farmers livestock Guardian donkey died from rabies and something like 3 or 6 (can't remember) ended up with rabies. Farm was quarantined for months. Understandably so.

The biggest issue is rabies is not approved in goats. So why is that a problem? Because your farm may still be quarantined and animals destroyed anyway. :\ It seems the many "agencies" involved just cannot decide what to do.:mad:

None of our vets think we really need it as we have so many LGD's (they are vaccinated) that the likelihood of a predator getting to a goat is pretty much just not gonna happen but we have the option.

That's a good point about LGD keeping predators away
Most common you would have an issue around here as carriers would be foxes and raccoons

But... One of the biggest carriers is bats and I have to duck those things when I have an outside light on and the bugs are around it

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Several years ago, there was a living history park near here that had a rabid goat. Many people had petted him before they knew he was sick. I haven't heard how that finally came out. OneFineAcre, I was nervous about bats as well. I asked at our zoo, and they told me that if a bat is acting like a bat, you're safe. It's one that doesn't act right that you have to worry about. If he's out in the day time, or on the ground.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, there was a living history park near here that had a rabid goat. Many people had petted him before they knew he was sick. I haven't heard how that finally came out. OneFineAcre, I was nervous about bats as well. I asked at our zoo, and they told me that if a bat is acting like a bat, you're safe. It's one that doesn't act right that you have to worry about. If he's out in the day time, or on the ground.
Yes
But I'm worried about the sick one in the corner of the barn that bites my
Goat on the nose

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put up a bat house and alway know that I should like to see them but deep down inside I really don't like them.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
In Idaho, last year, there were 11 bats and one skunk reported to have rabies. Which is about the average for us. We very rarely hear about it here.

I love bats! We have a lab on campus which studies them. They were advertising for volunteers for trapping, this included free rabies vaccinations.