Rasing feeder hog

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I want to buy a piglet or too for meat will a 25X25 be big enough. I plan on getting a AGH because there smaller in size. will two castrated males be ok together? I think im going to use the same fencing I use for my goats with the 2X4 holes welded wire that's about 4 feet and maybe a half I will at least put 1/2 foot in the ground. The area will be tons are trees and overgrown stuff. How long will I have them if I buy them in march? should I buy them from the same liter if I can, probably will do that. Any more things and helpful information?

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes 2 barrows should be fine in the same pen and I buy my feeders in march also and have them processed
In July. I would advise building your pig pen as strong as you can afford they are sneaky and strong and they will find the weak spots

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok good I have to build pens extra careful specially with goats because anything water can go three goats can, but my goats will not be in the same pen just beside

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you're new to pigs then I'd suggest that you make a 32' X 32' pen using cattle panels and t-posts. 2x4 wire, chicken wire and even a single strand of electric wire have all been known to keep hogs in but I have yet to find one that can break out of a cattle panel pen. Panels are $18-$20 and can but used for all sorts of things.
When it comes to how long you should keep them, I can tell you that I keep mine until they reach a certain weight. What kind of feed will you have them on?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can plant turnips and radishes in the pen before you get them. They will enjoy rooting them up. You can also plant turnips and radishes outside the pen for you to pull and toss them treats. Plant extra squash for them too. The pigs will enjoy the fresh veggies!

Latest posts