Rebel Sheep

Miyu

Just born
Reaction score
I caretake four sheep- one wether, who I think is a Balwen Welsh, and three ewes who I'm not sure of the breed. They are white all over, and no wool on their heads.
Also in this herd are two goats; one doe and one wether, and both are Nubian.

My problem, at the moment is getting this mixed herd from their pen to their grazing spot. They used to simply follow me, without Much hassle. But then I had to switch to walking behind them, and guiding them that way. Now, they won't go where I want them to go. I've tried using a stick, and they pretend it doesn't exist.

I am pretty sure they do not see me as dominant anymore. To me, this herd is all kinds of mixed up. There have been too many handlers along they way, doing different methods - so keeping this herd to a routine has been a struggle. I don't know if they have labelled me a female sheep in their mind - because if I get a male human to lead them, they respond with little to no problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you had to switch to walking behind them. If you're not at the lead, you've become a follower. Have you tried some marbles or small stones in a can that you can shake to make noise? If you shake it while feeding them treats, they should associate. After that, just shake the can and walk to where you want them. They should follow expecting treats. Also a great way to get them to come to you immediately if you need that to happen.

Miyu

Just born
Reaction score
I had to switch to walking behind them, because I went on vacation and the people who were in charge of them, chose to walk behind the herd; instead of in front. The herd would not relearn following me.

I will try the stones in a can.
They love treats so much, they tend to mob me on the rare occasion they get any.

Thanks.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
DEFINITELY go back to leading......show you are the boss,the leader, of this little flock. Balwen sheep, Nubian goats.....not known for their placid natures and trainability (too bright!). Coming up in the rear is confusing them. Ideally one person to lead and another bringing up the rear to bring in the stragglers.

I always use treats as a way to lead my flock (numbering about 125 at present). The knack is to keep well ahead.

One shout of 'Girleeeeeees' and the sight of a packet of digestive biscuits and mine are anybody's.

GOOD LUCK.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to agree with both people who suggested using a bucket of grain or snacks. I use a bucket (same bucket every day) and put a few alfalfa pellets or mixed grains in it. One little shake and snif, they are like a mob trying to get at the bucket first.

One thing that happened to mine was that they became bored with their grazing area and stopped to try fresh things along the way. Instead of fighting them about it, I took it as a cue to move their pasture and rest the other. They now follow fine, again.

JACB Dorper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Heel low:

I halter train all our ruminants; goats, sheep, & 2 llamas. Jest in case we have to evacuate which we have had to do...fire, floods, tornadoes...yeh. Not fun stuff at all and if you are trying to move animals that have never had a lead and halter on them...so much easier if they are already halter broke and know how to stand calmly whilst tied high (the lead, not them!)--most rodeos lead to wrecks. I consider this good planning...that most all your creatures should be amiable to handling and the moving of them. One never knows, eh.

I braid my own halter/lead and used white seiner cord I ordered from out East...cheaper than buying cord by the foot at the local hardware store. I just bought some pretty sheep halters and hate them...maybe if they wear a bit they will be better (rough them up, not so smooth) but they are made from some poly cord and tres slippery. I haltered a ram we were hauling home and thank my stars he was loaded in the big trailer when he slipped outta these other halters. Oh well...never a dull moment not to learn something new.

How to halter train...pretty simple. Keep in mind, you are to reward the behaviours you want, so if the beast you are leading (HA) gives you an inch...back off on the pulling tension--pull or tug gently and moment they give to the tension, YOU REWARD with a release on that tension. So it is kinda a tug, release when moving forward and tug again, release when you get what you want as in forward movements. Slow and steady. Quit after about ten or so minutes or before YOU are too tired. Do it on a day you have lotsa patience. Don't get lazy and only train one beast...all need to be amiable to leading. I know, each time I get one gentled...I kinda regret that I got another to do but you'll get them all tamed up. Note, I did have one ewe that would sink to her knees every single time I haltered her...never stood...but she would kneel and walk (yeh) on bended knees so I guess, good enough because that was just HER thing. :confused:

It was sorta OK because the ewe that kneeled, she'd follow me just about anywhere...so much so I was doing some pruning on the other side of a sliding sorting gate and she used one of her four horns to life that gate and come have a special visit with me. Dumb sheep...never...using tools like their horns to do their own biddings...quite useful for scratching and she even used those horns to snag a sapling and deleaf it...walking along, turned head eating leaves to the top of the tree...good gack! Thank our stars they don't have thumbs...er do they? Them dew claws may puzzle...

I find that in a small flock/herd, that if I put leads on the LEADER animals (be it the doe goat and the head ewe...that be good...usually, both species won't follow each other...so choose one member as in try the wether goat and the wether sheep...for me it is a three some for I have two llamas and one needs to be lead because, well, camelids figure they are not ovines or caprines...sigh), I at least end up where "I" wanted the group to go. I tie the two/three I am leading up high (so they do not strangle or tangle) and go back to shoo any stragglers...because "OH yes...they want that grass two paddocks back that we let grow up and now could be eaten (lovely green salad mixer!)." Ruminants always know better than the shepherdess does...eh. :oops:

Now with my geriatric Jacobs, when my flock was larger and a tad younger (2003 & 2005)...they had a better recall than my dang dawgs (hate admitting that!). But now it seems as they age, the four are getting more and more independent of each other. So I may have to halter all FOUR in that small flock and lead them where we wanna put them. Because each sheep was halter trained...not too terrible a task and I vowed I would have a halter and lead for every ruminant I owned...safety's sake.

I might not like it to have that many to lead (four) and I may one day, revert to the shake it up TREATY container (never feed a beast by hand...you enter a field, you get mobbed unless you amputate yer hands, eh!)...if'n I had like 20+ sheeps or goats I wanted and none would follow their leader....very good advice on here to lead with feed.

July%2025%202016%20IMGP2320_zpsybo9jsbw.jpg

You may tell who is lead sheep here...at least yesterday she was...Melissa and my luck is I also have her ewe lamb, D'Arcy...so I am kinda blessed that in this mini flock of bearded ladies, at least TWO sheeps should end up where I believe they belong...leading them to the place I want mowed up (that be our ditch...fire prevention...complimented with elenetting) and then when done for the day, back to their barn.

jun%2029%202016%20IMGP7318_zps34xoahw1.jpg

Melissa doing the Leader Sheep lead along

jun%2029%202016%20IMGP7325_zpsvb9xlbt6.jpg

I try my bestest to ensure all gates are closed to areas I don't want them to go...and I will close a few strategic ones so if they bolt and leave me and the "lead" sheep behind...lead sheep and I can catch up... Strategic planning...you hafta think fast when you get old and don't move fast...as fast as a flock/herd on the go to new grazing that is! :D

Be smarter than your beasts...there are daze where you do hafta wonder which end of the lead is doing the leading, eh. :bow

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I move my sheep around our place. I open the gate to where I want then to go, shake a can of feed, while screaming SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEEEEEEEP! They start screaming back at me, I walk back to their pasture, screaming all the while, open their gate and get back! They RUN to the open gate to claim their reward. One kinda hangs back with me, but she is my special pet, and naturally gets a treat because I just want to. LOL

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use the electonetting. I use a leash and collar on Athena, my flock queen. Holstein, my head ram is led with a leash also. I don't know if it's the correct way to do it but it works for me.

Athena has a terrible case of ADD. She'll run over to investigate a chicken or duck along the way, or a pretty flower, or some nice grass... Holstein will stop to graze at the first nice patch of grass he sees and even with the leash, it takes forever to get him and the rams moved anywhere. The bucket shaking is part of the plan but it gets complicated with a leash and a bucket. Now, the bucket always has a lid.