recipes please? also some questions.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do any of y'all, my good rabbit buddies, have a really good, easy recipe for rabbit? If you do, will you share it? Thanks!

Also I'm wanting to tan the furs, but have never done so. Does anyone know how? Can you tell me step by step?

And where is a good place to get those metal thingys that go on the ends of the rabbit's foot to make a key chain?

Thanks for any and all information!

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I season my rabbit with a bit of salt and pepper then let that sit for a half hour. After that I toss it in some seasoned flour and brown it in a saute pan with bacon grease. Set the rabbit pieces aside and add carrots, onions, celery and apples to your pan. Cook them until the onions become translucent, add some chopped garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme, 1Tbsp cocoa powder and get everything good and coated. Add two cups of good port wine and when it begins to bubble around the edges pour it over your rabbit pieces in a roasting pan. Add one cup of chicken stock and cook at 350 until the rabbit is tender. Eat over rice or with good mashed potatoes.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds good! I found some websites about tanning the fur and making the keychains, so now just keep those recipes coming!

I'm wondering if I could just substitute rabbit for chicken in some recipes? If I did, how would it affect cooking times? Or taste?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Rabbit is pretty versatile and can be used in place of all sorts of proteins. Cooking times would need to be adjusted for the size of the cut of meat and the thickness. Rabbit won't necessarily taste like chicken but it does derive a fair amount of flavor from what is cooked with or put on it, with a bit of richness to the overall taste. I'm a chef instructor with my own farm, I've cooked a lot over the years.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good! I found some websites about tanning the fur and making the keychains, so now just keep those recipes coming!

I'm wondering if I could just substitute rabbit for chicken in some recipes? If I did, how would it affect cooking times? Or taste?

Yup, that's what I often did when I had rabbit. My favorite dish to make was rabbit pot pie.

Rabbit is pretty versatile and can be used in place of all sorts of proteins. Cooking times would need to be adjusted for the size of the cut of meat and the thickness. Rabbit won't necessarily taste like chicken but it does derive a fair amount of flavor from what is cooked with or put on it, with a bit of richness to the overall taste. I'm a chef instructor with my own farm, I've cooked a lot over the years.

Also agree with this.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New recipes are always fun but I recommend getting used to replacing your other meats with it too. Mainly, because if you only use it for new recipes it won't be long and you'll not be using it as often. We have a tendency to go back to the tried and true recipes we're used to, and if we know how to replace those recipes with rabbit, we'll be eating more of our rabbit. I ground some up the other day, and so we've had rabbit burgers and tonight it will be Sloppy Joes. I mixed the rabbit 50/50 with ground beef. You cannot tell a difference. Next time I'll probably try 75/25 with rabbit and beef.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I made rabbit enchiladas.
rabbit.jpg