recipes please? also some questions.

hardcore

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
016.JPG

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thinking about using rabbit instead of beef in a stroganoff. I think it'll be good. Also thinking about chili. Mmmmmm!

hoosiercheetah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Rabbit Stroganoff sounds fantastic, let us know how that goes!

Here's what I do with chickens, and it should work with rabbit, too:

Take the whole rabbit and brine it. The brine should be 1/4 cup (non-iodine) salt per quart of water. I brine the critter in my crock pot crock in the fridge overnight, but if your crock doesn't come out of the pot, you can do it on the counter for 2-4 hours and get the same result.
If your crock pot is big enough, do two rabbits.

Lay two long strips of heavy duty foil across each other (90 degrees) on the counter. Drain the brine, do not rinse the rabbit, set him in the middle of the foil cross.

Season with pepper and garlic powder. Do not add more salt! Place two whole carrots, two cellery stalks, and one onion, quartered, in each rabbit chest/abdomen area.

Wrap the rabbit snugly in the foil, fold-up and roll-down style. The idea is you want the rabbit in a more or less water tight foil cocoon. Be careful not to wrap so tightly that the arm or leg bones puncture the foil.

Crock it. Depending on the size of the rabbit, an hour on high followed by 3-4 hours on low ought to do it. By comparison, for a medium chicken I do 2 hours on high and 3 on low. If you've got two rabbits in there, 2 hours high, 4 hours low ought to do it. After you do this a few times, you'll figure out how to adjust the time for your particular crock - mine runs pretty hot, for example.

When the time is up, carefully lift the whole foil package out of the crock and set it in a very large mixing bowl. A lot of juice is going to come out of this thing, and you want to catch it all.

Gently unwrap the foil, and be careful, it's bloody hot in there.

Pick all the meat off the rabbit. It should fall off the bones. Put the meat aside for serving any way you like, but at this point it's straight up delicious. Use it in your favorite chicken salad sandwich recipe, and sing with the angels.

Strain all of the rabbit juice into a tupperware container big enough that the juice only fills it half-way. Add as much water as you have juice. Congratulations, you have rabbit stock!

Use the rabbit stock in any recipe that calls for chicken stock. It makes awesome soup. Use it to cook white beans for beans and cornbread. Sing with angels some more.

That's about it!

Shorty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We just cooked our first rabbit and it turned out great! If you have ever had sauerbraten and liked it then you will probably like this I do have to admit is an acquired taste

Hasenpfeffer
1 rabbit about 2.5 lbs
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1 Tbl Pickling spice
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 onion
8 cloves
2 bay leaves

We mixed all of that in a large nonmetallic bowl. Add rabbit pieces; cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning occasionally.

1/4 cup Flour
2 tbl butter
1 cup sour cream

Remove meat; strain and reserve marinade. Dry meat well; coat lightly with flour. In a large skillet, melt butter; brown meat well. Gradually add 2 to 2-1/2 cups reserved marinade. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove meat to a warm platter. Add sour cream to pan juices; stir just until heated through. Spoon over rabbit.

trampledbygeese

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome thread!
I wish I still had rabbits, but someone in the family became very attached to the babies and wouldn't let us eat them. One day I'll have bunnies again!

But for now, I have a few hunter friends with wild bunnies in the freezer. Anything I need to do different for cooking wild rabbit?