Registrating goats

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First can you register a goat without papers but it is purebred and also how do you register a goat?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
First can you register a goat without papers but it is purebred and also how do you register a goat?[/QUOTE

No.
Unless you have documents from the breeder that the mother and father had registration papers then you cannot register the animal.
If you do, then their is a form you fill out with the registry, and pay the fee.
Not knowing what kind of goats you have, hard to say which registry. My goats are registered with the American Dairy Goat Association. They have a website.
Good luck and welcome to the forum

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
No.
Unless you have documents from the breeder that the mother and father had registration papers then you cannot register the animal.
If you do, then there is a form you fill out with the registry, and pay the fee.
Not knowing what kind of goats you have, hard to say which registry. My goats are registered with the American Dairy Goat Association. They have a website.
Good luck and welcome to the forum[

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I checked that site out it seems great for my Nigerian dwarfs i know they are pure Nigerian but don't have papers

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I checked that site out it seems great for my Nigerian dwarfs i know they are pure Nigerian but don't have papers

Mason&lily,
If you bought the animals with no registration papers, why are you interested in registering them now?

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At first I bought them as pets but now I'm starting to breed and raise them

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
It depends on the registry. There are different organizations for registering your goats, some that people feel are to be taken more seriously than others due to their practices, length of time as an established registry, and what not.

With Nigerian dwarf goats, people seem to tend towards three registries... AGS, ADGA, and NDGA. When I look to buy goats, these are the ones I look for. None of them will allow you to officially register your goats but I believe one, and I have to check which, will let you "record" your goats in a separate book and you can "breed up" to purebred status.

Other registries, such as NMGA which I worked for as an editor, are smaller, less established, and in general receive less notice from people but do have a purpose and place. You can register your animals with them but again, it will not be in their purebred book but you can breed up to that with future animals. I started out that way and still have one gal that is an NMGA registry and that is all. She and her offspring will never be eligible for registry in any of the big name groups out there but I love her and that is all that matters.

It is really about what you want to be doing. You can breed and sell your goats as pets, 4H animals (depending on the rules of your area's 4H), an home milkers without ANY registration, or if you just want to be able to prove some kind of lineage from this point forward, you might join one of the smaller registries. If you are wanting to get top dollar for your animals, have them in big national shows, and work to improve the breed, I am not sure if you will be satisfied with registries that are not among the big names.

Latest posts