Rut is HERE!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the boys are putting on their perfume now :D I could really smell it this morning when the wind was blowing just right. Exciting times ahead, I'm already excited about spring 2016 kids!

The does are all looking really good, they all have gained well.....My ND's have gained 20lbs on just grass and some hay. :hide Waiting on the seasonal girls to start cycling again and I will get the Nigi's bred soon.

Anyone else get happy when they can smell their boys? :weee

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my Alpine is putting his cologne on. I think I might already have two does bred, not my choice...theirs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It totally depends on the buck. Nigis are usually young as are most dairy goats. Boers can take a little longer. The first year you might not smell much, again, depends on the buck. But just because there is no odor don't think they can't breed. I have seven 1/2 Boers in the field and my Boer buckling never smelled at all.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What age does it start? - our oldest buckling is coming up on 4 months old....
You little guy may not go into what I call a "full" rut. He probably will do some of the unspeakable acts but just wait until next year :ep

It actually isn't that bad, but people have been giving me "the look" when I come in from after handling the boys! :hide

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Gosh, my new herd sire is 6 1/2 months, and watches my every move, the other is 4 1/2 months, and he isn't as bad. They aren't half as bad as the 5 yr old buck I sold earlier this year.