1. BYH Featured Thread: What we do as goat breeders....
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Saanen vs. Nubian

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by Plazyfarm, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mar 14, 2013
    Plazyfarm

Plazyfarm Exploring the pasture

We have three Saanen does. My kids were doing 4-H. We will not be doing 4-H this year so I was thinking instead of getting a Reg. Saanen buck, I would get a nubian is this a good match? Or should I just stick with a pure herd? Just looking for some pros and cons.
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Loving the herd life

Ultimately you can do whatever you want. Are your does registered? If you get a registered Nubian buck, I think you can still register the babies as experimental, but you should check with ADGA.

I love my Nubians. I have a LaMancha doeling that will ultimately be bred to my Nubian Buck and I know they can be registered.
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    Plazyfarm

Yes the girls are registered thank you for you input. My husband likes me to make cheese and he drinks the Saanen milk. I would like to get a nubian because I tasted there milk and it was a little less goaty. Since I need to get a new buck I thought this might get me closer to a nubian milk.
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    Fullhousefarm

Fullhousefarm Overrun with beasties

I've seen two cute Snubian does this year-twins.:)

You can register the girls as grades, and you could show then in registered grade class in 4H shows if you ever wanted to. I've noticed lots of grades go on to get RG or even GC in shows. They can combine the best of both breeds and can be great milkers too.

I think that the buck offspring can't be registered- or there is some other drawback- I'm not clear on that yet. My daughter recently purchased a Sannen/LaMancha cross, so I'm sure we will find out an another year or two if not before.
  5. Mar 16, 2013
    Plazyfarm

Thanks Fullhousefarm, I heard of the Snubian also and figured since we are not showing it might just work.:)
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler Loving the herd life

Adding a different breed will add some hybrid vigor to your lines. The ears will probably be airplane ears or "helicopter ears"--part erect, part floppy. I have an Alpine/Boer doe with helicopter ears and it she looks a bit like Sid the Sloth from the Ice Age movies.

Nubian bucks are a little more common here than Saanens. I have access to good Boer bucks but there are no decent registered Saanen or Alpine bucks in the area, so my gals got bred to Boers this year. I would like to breed to a reg. Saanen to get some purebred babies, but for the time being, I have to settle for Boers.
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Loving the herd life

Just a thought here; couldn't you sell the babies for more money if they were registered purebreds?
  8. Mar 16, 2013
    Catahoula

Catahoula Overrun with beasties

What about a nigerian dwarf? Their milk has high butterfat too and you'll make mini Saanen with upright ears. The milk from offspring should taste good too. If you get a registered ND, you can registered the kids with Mini Dairy Goat Association too. :)
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    Straw Hat Kikos

Straw Hat Kikos The Kiko Cowboy

One word. Kiko
  10. Mar 16, 2013
    Plazyfarm

Straw Hat Kikos - what is a Kiko?