Saanen vs. Nubian

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have three Saanen does. My kids were doing 4-H. We will not be doing 4-H this year so I was thinking instead of getting a Reg. Saanen buck, I would get a nubian is this a good match? Or should I just stick with a pure herd? Just looking for some pros and cons.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ultimately you can do whatever you want. Are your does registered? If you get a registered Nubian buck, I think you can still register the babies as experimental, but you should check with ADGA.

I love my Nubians. I have a LaMancha doeling that will ultimately be bred to my Nubian Buck and I know they can be registered.

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes the girls are registered thank you for you input. My husband likes me to make cheese and he drinks the Saanen milk. I would like to get a nubian because I tasted there milk and it was a little less goaty. Since I need to get a new buck I thought this might get me closer to a nubian milk.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've seen two cute Snubian does this year-twins.:)

You can register the girls as grades, and you could show then in registered grade class in 4H shows if you ever wanted to. I've noticed lots of grades go on to get RG or even GC in shows. They can combine the best of both breeds and can be great milkers too.

I think that the buck offspring can't be registered- or there is some other drawback- I'm not clear on that yet. My daughter recently purchased a Sannen/LaMancha cross, so I'm sure we will find out an another year or two if not before.

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Fullhousefarm, I heard of the Snubian also and figured since we are not showing it might just work.:)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Adding a different breed will add some hybrid vigor to your lines. The ears will probably be airplane ears or "helicopter ears"--part erect, part floppy. I have an Alpine/Boer doe with helicopter ears and it she looks a bit like Sid the Sloth from the Ice Age movies.

Nubian bucks are a little more common here than Saanens. I have access to good Boer bucks but there are no decent registered Saanen or Alpine bucks in the area, so my gals got bred to Boers this year. I would like to breed to a reg. Saanen to get some purebred babies, but for the time being, I have to settle for Boers.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Plazyfarm said:
Yes the girls are registered thank you for you input. My husband likes me to make cheese and he drinks the Saanen milk. I would like to get a nubian because I tasted there milk and it was a little less goaty. Since I need to get a new buck I thought this might get me closer to a nubian milk.
What about a nigerian dwarf? Their milk has high butterfat too and you'll make mini Saanen with upright ears. The milk from offspring should taste good too. If you get a registered ND, you can registered the kids with Mini Dairy Goat Association too. :)

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos - what is a Kiko?