Screw Tail?

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Has any one every heard of this. I am acquiring three goats. One is a Pygerian doe. The owner was told by the previous owner that this doe shouldn't be breed because of screw tail. Said it could cause difficulty with delivery.

Does tail kind of lays off to one side all the time.

I have never heard of this.

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping you had a response to what screw tail was. I haven't heard of it.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping you had a response to what screw tail was. I haven't heard of it.

The original owner, J&M Farm wrote screw tail on her paper work. Her tail actually sits to the left of her body just slightly. So it does not a line with her spine. They side it could be fatal for her to give birth. Something about this affecting the way her uterus sits in her body.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They probably mean wry tail.
The original owner, J&M Farm wrote screw tail on her paper work. Her tail actually sits to the left of her body just slightly. So it does not a line with her spine. They side it could be fatal for her to give birth. Something about this affecting the way her uterus sits in her body.

I honestly do not know. It is the first I have heard of it, so you may be right.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never heard of it affecting kidding. I do know it is a disqualifying fault. I honestly don't know, I have never read that anywhere. Have you seen any articles about this. Can you get an "op close" pic?

Curious to know if anyone else has heard of it being fatal if giving birth.:hu

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have never heard of it affecting kidding. I do know it is a disqualifying fault. I honestly don't know, I have never read that anywhere. Have you seen any articles about this. Can you get an "op close" pic?

I can't find anything any where, except that it is a fault. He is the one that wrote could be fatal on paper work and yes it actually is wry tail. I am still looking to see if I can find any information.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a fault
Never heard that about kidding
But there's a lot I don't know :)

Last edited:

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I looked up "screw tail" and found reference to it in cattle, without much info. I'd love to hear exactly what it is, if you can solve the mystery.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

http://www.holsteinfoundation.org/pdf_doc/workbooks/Dairy_Goat_Judging_Supplement.pdf

almost at very end under Evaluation of Defects: Doesn't say much, but does indicate that it could causes kidding problems.