Selling bunnies

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am raising velveteen lop rabbits. Many breed groups are cracking down on selling/reserving bunnies less than 8 weeks. I know there's some states with laws against selling at a younger age, not Indiana though. But my does are ready to have those babies weaned by 6, 7 weeks. So I usually pull them. I usually have advertised them starting around 6 weeks, though I won't let them leave until 8 weeks. Is this bad? If I can't use them I really don't want to feed them longer than I need to. I track their progress, ear length and weights, I feel even at this age I can predict their "quality" I know many "big" breeders terminally cull any they wouldn't show. That's fine but it's very frustrating because anyone wanting to get started in the breed is very limited on available stock. These guys also make awesome pets so I do sell pet bunnies, w/o pedigrees. Other breeders what do you think? Bad practice to take deposits? It was the only way to get one 2 years ago.... idk. Thanks for input.

Life is Good!

Just born
Reaction score
We've put a 'deposit' for 2 Am Chinchilla does with a local breeder. The breeder did not ask for it - but I feel a whole lot better putting one down for the does. The litter is now 4wks old, and the breeder will give us one from this litter and a slightly older doe (12wks) who are not directly related.

When we wished our dog, we put a deposit on a litter which we were not sure we'd have a pup in. We were #7 in line - the litter was 8 pups, so we sort of got a choice between 2 puppies. (Breeder allowed #1 to have first pick, #2 second pick and so on). We did have the option to not take a pup from that litter - but who can turn away such cuteness?! We've ended up with a fabulous dog.

The Am Chinchilla breeder is giving us their pedigree because we do wish breeding stock - meat mostly, but maybe some sales too. The cost is the same - papers or no. I was surprised, as I thought buns with papers would cost more. The breeder is helping my teen son get started with rabbits, so perhaps she's offering him a price break?! Maybe....

Hope this helps!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you could take deposits anytime between 18 days old and 4 weeks. The mortality rate drops way off past the first week anyway. iMine are meat rabbits and typically ready to wean at 4-5weeks.
I generally sell mine around 8 weeks, but anytime they are weaned and in grow - out pens, they could go live with someone else and eat their food.
My goal, though is to get them to 5# at 10 weeks so I can process them.

Latest posts