• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok BYH friends... I don't quite know what to do, so I thought this would be a perfect place for opinions... ok so, DH and I have been looking for a new place for a couple years. We have a little 3 acre place now and want more but everything we have found and even made offers on haven't come through. Well, now another place has come up for sale and I can't get it off my mind. Let me explain.

My stipulations for our next place is this: a bigger kitchen (check), more bathrooms (check), a basement (check), more land obviously (check), closer to town and a long driveway (actually it's basically a private road that leads to the house)... now here's where my problem lies.. The basement had a pretty good size crack in one of the walls, and from what I've read it's a structural crack. Also (the place has 50 acres), approx 35 acres are (and have always been) leased out for crops. There's 10 acres that has a pond and brush and a loafing shed. The rest is the house and such. It doesn't have any fence around the 35 acres, but does have a pretry good size horse barn, "utility barn" which i thought woukd be a good maternity ward lol... The house needs a major renovation. It was built in 79, and I'm pretty sure every wall is covered in wallpaper. So the house would need new flooring, walls stripped (and hope the sheet rock behind it is in good condition), and do some bathroom renovations (blue toilets aren't really in style anymore are they?).

So... here's my dilemma DH is thinking approx 30 or 40k for house renovations (and basement fix) then the cost of fencing (for goats- probably an 11 or 12 wire barb wire fenceand seeding the 35 acres in grass, would be through the roof. His thought is that it's not worth it, we are gonna be working for YEARS AND YEARS to just break even on the place if we ever do. And it's not exactly on the market for a steal either. What they are asking is pretty close to fair market price. So I totally understand him, and I agree, but... why haven't I stopped thinking about this place??! I'm pretty sure it's because of the thought of closer to town, and its more secluded, but the layout of the house is strange, and it would be something to get used to... DH has pretty much written it off, hasn't mentioned it since we went to look at it (I had to pester to get him to come look at it).

need your input pleaseee! I've added a pic of the layout of the property. The drive cuts between 10 or 15 acres which would be a perfect buck area or weaning area.. I don't know... shoot it straight, tell me if I'm just crazy for thinking I like this house.

20150424_065446.jpg

Last edited:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy, this is a tuff one to give an answer on. I grew up with our house being remolded- it was started before I came along and is still being worked to this day(my DH is helping to finish the job) so I understand what it takes. When DH and I were looking for a place to buy- he said nothing over 10 years because he didn't want to come home from work(we own/manage/remodel rentals for a living) and work on our house. For this, I am so thankful, as it gives us time to do other things with our kids- like chickens, rabbits and goats.

Good Luck :fl in what you decide and I hope you find something that fits both your needs :hugs

koop

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No, don't do it
Reason 1.your husband isn't on board
Reason 2.Its going to take a lot of your resources.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
No real answer, but a couple thoughts off the top of my head:

Have you had someone qualified look at the basement crack (and the rest of the house, especially structurally), to tell you what needs done, and what also might need done in the near future, say 5 to 10 years down the road?

Personally I'm all for fixing what needs to be fixed, but I'm more of a 'functionality over fashion' person - if my toilets work they could be purple for all I care... my current house has old metal kitchen cabinets from the 50's, I'm sure plenty of people would take them out and remodel, but they are in good shape so they work for me!

Can you continue to lease out the 35 acres, at least for the foreseeable future? You'll still have more acreage than you have now, and you can expand (and invest in stuff like fence) more slowly.

And I agree with koop, hubby would have to be on board for it to work well.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Boy, this is a tuff one to give an answer on. I grew up with our house being remolded- it was started before I came along and is still being worked to this day(my DH is helping to finish the job) so I understand what it takes. When DH and I were looking for a place to buy- he said nothing over 10 years because he didn't want to come home from work(we own/manage/remodel rentals for a living) and work on our house. For this, I am so thankful, as it gives us time to do other things with our kids- like chickens, rabbits and goats.

Good Luck :fl in what you decide and I hope you find something that fits both your needs :hugs

Thanks... If we did this, it would (hopefully) not be an ongoing renovation. We would get a contractor in, and get all of the work done upfront, well... most of the work, some of the smaller stuff I think we would be able to do ourselves at a later date. :hugs Thanks...

Have you had someone qualified look at the basement crack (and the rest of the house, especially structurally), to tell you what needs done, and what also might need done in the near future, say 5 to 10 years down the road?

That was going to be our next step (if we get there)... to have a basement person and a contractor come with us to look at the house again and give us estimates so we can roughly figure how much we would be looking to spend on repairs/renovations (and whether or not it would be worth it to repair)

Can you continue to lease out the 35 acres, at least for the foreseeable future? You'll still have more acreage than you have now, and you can expand (and invest in stuff like fence) more slowly.

Yes, hubby and I thought of continuing the lease until we were ready to put fence in and plant grass... you're right, we would have more land than we do now, and it would take us a while to grow our herd into that land, so yes that's potentially an option.

And I agree with koop, hubby would have to be on board for it to work well.

Lastly, yes, absolutely agree, there's no way in heck we would buy a place if only one of us were wanting it/ willing to work for it. Not at all. I'm just trying to figure out why this place hasn't left my mind since we saw it. And maybe there's something that we are overthinking/overlooking.

Thanks for all of your input... Any other thoughts/opinions are greatly welcomed and appreciated!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't add anything more to what has already been suggested...except... consideration would be your age...how secure are your jobs as this will take steady pay checks for your plans...will you get to live your dream before you are 135 years old? All things to consider when you and hubby are thinking this through....good luck in finding the best option for you both! :)

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can't add anything more to what has already been suggested...except... consideration would be your age...how secure are your jobs as this will take steady pay checks for your plans...will you get to live your dream before you are 135 years old? All things to consider when you and hubby are thinking this through....good luck in finding the best option for you both! :)

We are in our late 20's... very steady jobs. Ideally we are hoping to get a jumpstart on a large enough place while we are younger so we can live to see it through. It's just a matter of figuring out whether this is the place for that or not. I guess I'm just hoping its not a money pit... BUT DH was willing to talk about it and was willing to take another look with a basement guy and a contractor! Thanks for your suggestion!

The in-laws started hobby farming when they reached their 50's and are starting to accumulate all the "stuff" needed... Where as, we have truly enjoyed it thus far and would like to achieve that prior to becoming 50...

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:) Sounds like you will have no problem realizing your dreams for sure!!! :) We didn't start hobby farming until we reached our 50s also and we are enjoying it very much, but at our age we weren't looking for a large place. Now in our 60s we should be slowing down and now rebuilding chicken coops...LOLOL...or new hay sheds....LOLOL...this lifestyle will either kill us or keep us young ;)

A contractor and basement expert (or 2...second or more opinions are a good idea too) will give you a better idea of what kind of work and money you are looking at. Sometimes it can be cheaper to build new rather than fix and remodel depending on how much fixing and remodeling is needed.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
p.s....what is your water supply there? County water or your own private well? If it is a well you would want that tested.

Also, if things don't look feasible with this property...who knows...the next one you find may be even better? I know the second guessing thing...and I hate that...because with that comes the who knows...this one may be perfect with some work.

None of us on here can know what is best for you and your husband...I couldn't vote since there was no option for "it depends on many things" button ;)

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:) Sounds like you will have no problem realizing your dreams for sure!!! :)

Thanks! I'm a California City Girl transplanted... And everyone (including me) has been so surprised at how well I've adjusted to (and absolutely enjoyed) the country life.

We didn't start hobby farming until we reached our 50s also and we are enjoying it very much, but at our age we weren't looking for a large place. Now in our 60s we should be slowing down and now rebuilding chicken coops...LOLOL...or new hay sheds....LOLOL...this lifestyle will either kill us or keep us young ;)

LOL I Hope that's us when we get there! DH's grandfather is in his 70's and still gets up and around... crawlin on the floor... lol He does it all, just a little slower than he used to. I would only hope that we are as mobile as that when we get there!

A contractor and basement expert (or 2...second or more opinions are a good idea too) will give you a better idea of what kind of work and money you are looking at. Sometimes it can be cheaper to build new rather than fix and remodel depending on how much fixing and remodeling is needed.

VERY true. I think it made DH feel better when he asked "So... what if this basement is "irreparable" or if it is going to cost 50k to repair...?" I replied with "Then it's not worth it. We'll keep looking" . He said "Ok! Get the people lined up to look again." YESSSSS!!

p.s....what is your water supply there? County water or your own private well? If it is a well you would want that tested.

County water. No water well on the property.
Also, if things don't look feasible with this property...who knows...the next one you find may be even better? I know the second guessing thing...and I hate that...because with that comes the who knows...this one may be perfect with some work.

Problem is, we've been looking for over 2 years now... We're SOOOO ready to jump. Maybe that's part of my problem. I'm so ready to jump... Our current place we bought as a Foreclosure and fixed it up (it was a MESS)... Now we're pretty much done with it, and ready for more! LOL
None of us on here can know what is best for you and your husband...I couldn't vote since there was no option for "it depends on many things" button ;)

:) thanks for your help... I think I just realized why I've not let go of this place yet... I think I am so ready to jump and this place COULD BE the place for that... And I was about to burst and DH didnt want to talk about it! But now that I was able to spill my guts (so to speak) with him, I feel much better... Thanks for all your help and suggestions.