1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Thinking about microdairy
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Slow growing boer doelings*update*

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by RPC, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011
    RPC

RPC Overrun with beasties

What am I doing wrong with my goats the does are growing so slow. From January to July all my growing kids were on an 18% pelleted goat feed with deccox. After the fair they were switched to a 16% texturised grain. When the fair was over we brought home 3 of the doelings and sold 1 market doe and 1 market wether. The wether was 97 pounds at the fair and the market doe was 67, since the other 3 were breeding does they were not weighed. Well tonight I wanted to see how they were doing and I am not to pleased. My January 8th doe Valentine is only 57 pounds. This is using a bathroom scale with me standing on it. She was growing really well till June then when the heat hit she stopped growing and was not eating much because she didn't shed her winter coat. Cashmere was born January 25th and is 73 pounds. She was a bottle baby and I think is growing really well since we have been home from the fair. I thought she was bigger then that but I guess I was wrong. Lastly Hope who was born March 26th is 50 pounds. She is only 7 pounds smaller the the oldest and 2 and 1/2 months younger so she might be on track i don't know. They get 4 quarts of feed split between them all in 2 feedings a day. They have been wormed and all seem happy and healthy with shiny coats. But I must be doing something wrong. These are all Boer percentage does and I feel like they should be closer to 100 pounds by now. Thanks in advance for feed back
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    elevan

elevan Critter Addict ♥ Moderator Moderator

I don't know hardly anything about boers so I'm not sure about weights and such.

But...when a goat is slow growing one of my first suspicions is coccidia and / or tapeworms. Have you had fecals done?
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Roll farms

Roll farms Spot Master

I agree, fecals are called for.
  4. Sep 9, 2011
    Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Goat Fancier

Fecals are never a bad idea. How do their eyelids/gums look? Deep pink, medium pink, pink, pale pink, almost white? If they are pink to almost white, first things first: get some Red Cell into them! Then collect the sample/samples, and have your vet check them each out.

Now some other questions: Are these 3 littermates, or are they from seperate litters? If any of them are from seperate litters, how many kids were in each of their litters? My single chamoisee doeling is growing like a weed, while my little black doeling(1 of 4) is more petite. You could pick up some Dumor Goat Grower and let them eat free choice for a while(I know plenty of goat farmers & books on goats say to free choice feed kids up to 4-6 months old depending on the breed.... and where Boer are a meat breed, it certainly couldn't hurt the little darlings to bulk up a bit.
    It is my personal opinion, living in one of our nation's colder climates(The White Mountains of NH), that for most breeds it is okay to feed kids free choice to a little beyond 6 months old so they have adequate bulk(slightly to moderately over conditioned) to keep them warm over winter. If you want them to bulk in muscle mass and not fattiness, you could let them have peas, peanuts, and other higher protien feeds.
  5. Sep 9, 2011
    20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill True BYH Addict

you would be right about the fact that they should be close to 100lbs. There are some slow growing bloodlines out there. We only keep and buy animals that are hitting 45lbs by 8 weeks of age. Atleast that is what we shoot for. I do have one slow growing blood-line. the whether at 6months for the fair weighed 80lbs, I don't have the doe here any more from that set, but she was a little smaller than him.

I always figure, if they weighed 10lbs at birth and put on a steady .5lbs a day, they would gain 15lbs a month, so by 6 months the better growers should be right at 100lbs. There are always a few behind that and a couple that exceed that. Anything above .4 a day average is probably pretty good.

Do you know the history of the blood-lines and their growth rates?

We are feeding right at 3 % body weight up in grain a day untill they hit their teenage years and start to look chunky, normally around 7 or 8 months of age. Then I cut back to 1lb to 1 1/2lbs a day per animal, until they are bred.

Have you concidered tapworm loads and what have you used that would have treated for tapeworms? That can really slow down growth.
  6. Sep 9, 2011
    RPC

The oldest Valentine was a twin her brother was the 97 pound market wether at the end of July. Hope who is the youngest was a single. And Cashmere was a triplet but was bottle fed. I will get a fecal done with in the next 2 weeks. Kim how much do they cost you? when I last did one it was 29 dollars at my vet and I wondered if that was a fair price. If not my sister goes to Ivy Tech Marion and I could have her take them to your vet if it is a lot cheaper. Their eye lids are a darker pink from what I can see. I will show you some photos of the girls from today. This is Hope the doe that was born March 26th and weighed 50 pounds today. (Kim this is Riders granddaughter)
    [​IMG]
    This is Cashmere she is the bottle baby born January 25th and weighed today 73 pounds. Not going to lie she is my favorite.
    [​IMG]
    This is all 3 of them playing and eating out in the field now that I mowed the weeds down shorter then they are.
    [​IMG]
    This is Valentine. She is for sure my problem doe. She is the oldest being born January 8th and only 57 pounds.
    [​IMG]
  7. Sep 9, 2011
    Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Goat Fancier

for being the lightest weight, she doesn't look underconditioned to me... in fact they all LOOK about perfect to me. :)
  8. Sep 9, 2011
    RPC

Livingwright that the problem I think they all look good if not awesome but for Boers they should be bigger I think. Maybe I need to get a better scale or find some where to take them to get weighted and make sure those are the correct weights. As I said before the way we weighed them was I stepped on a bathroom scale and weighed myself then picked one up and had my sister read what it said then subtracted my weight. That is why I included pictures because I think they look really healthy.
  9. Sep 9, 2011
    Roll farms

Roll farms Spot Master

I agree, they "look" good. I don't think they look much smaller than my Jan / Feb. kids.

I like Cashmere a lot, too.

I dunno what it costs, Roger, my vets just send me bills out and I pay 'em w/ out checking out the itemizing much, usually when I go there / they come here I have 'em do as much as possible so I don't have to pay for extra office visits, etc.
    I can call and ask on Monday. But they're in Sweetser, another 10 mi. or so down 18 past Marion.
  10. Sep 9, 2011
    RPC

Ok thank you Kim I am really starting to think the scale might have been off because the market doe we sold at the fair was 67 pounds and she was pretty darn close to the same size as the rest and I know they have not lost weight. I know right where your vet is because my sister used to live 1 mile down the rd from the office. I don't blame you last time I was at the vet my doe had everything done so I didn't have to get extra charges later as well. Kim don't worry about calling I can just take them to my vet and pay a little more. Thank you all for your help everyone.