1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Winter with goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Small white thread like worm on goat

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Our7Wonders, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011
    PJisaMom

PJisaMom Ridin' The Range

Is that 7 days from Start of safeguard/onset of problem, or after the three days of Safeguard? And why wait from day 7 to day 21? Not every 10 days? Not arguing a bit... just genuinely curious...

So... say you did three days of Safeguard... do you orally do Ivomec at the same time/inject it? First day? Third day?

Just curious!
  2. Jun 23, 2011
    Roll farms

Roll farms Spot Master

7 days and 21 days from the start of the problem.

Most bugs have a 14-21 day life span.
  3. Jun 23, 2011
    patandchickens

patandchickens Overrun with beasties

1/4" threadlike makes me think pinworms? Googling indicates that goats can indeed get 'em, although it is apparently not all that common and because it is not particularly health-endangering it doesn't seem to get *talked about* much.

Of course there are probably other internal worms of similar size, just pointing out that pinworms are a possibility (and you *would expect* to see pinworms sometimes crawling around on the outside of the goat, whereas that's not the case for other types)

Goat pinworms are different from the ones that affect humans and a quick google suggests they're not cross-transmissible although I don't swear to it.

Pat
  4. Jun 23, 2011
    Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Overrun with beasties

I've considered pin worms as well. I've never seen 'em before to know what they'd look like for sure - but I think they're also called thread worms - which is a very accurate description of what I saw. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I didn't see any today. I was prepared to take a sample to the vet, but no go. Regardless, I'm pretty confident that the wormer combo will take care of it, whatever it may be.
  5. Jun 23, 2011
    patandchickens

patandchickens Overrun with beasties

They look like, well, 1/4" threadlike thin worms :p Unfortunately ANY nematode parasite of the same size is going to look basically identical. So you can't rely on appearance to separate them from other similar-size internal parasites.

Pinworms are a bit better at moving around on surfaces than fully-internal parasites (b/c adult pinworms "go outdoors" once or twice a day to lay eggs around the outside of the animal's anal area) but without a basis for comparison I'm not sure that's a terribly useful bit of info :p

The best way to learn what pinworms look like is to have them yourself, or in your kids :p Well, when I say "best", I don't really mean "desirable" LOL

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Overrun with beasties

:ep

I'd rather kill 'em all and not know than volunteer my butt (or my kids' butt) and know for sure. Some things just aren't worth knowing.
  7. Jun 23, 2011
    Mossy Stone Farm

Mossy Stone Farm Overrun with beasties

I think doing the worming as suggested will take care of what ever worms your dealing with, i am like you i'd just want them gone and SOON!!!:sick