So I got a Mini Zebu Bull......>>>>>> New Bull & Heifer Update..

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most places say Zebu are gentle natured, and can be tamed with patience and kindness. If I can get him to a point where I'm not concerned about him mowing me over and enjoys a good brushing while on halter, I'll be happy. I'm sure the 1 acre drag from trailer to pen, avoiding chickens, dogs, horses and goats, he had plenty of chance to try to ............. but I saw him when he was scared at that other place and would like to avoid it, LOL. I would have liked to have started with a baby, but he was the only one in my price range...HeHe. :rolleyes:

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yup, I agree, he's a healthy looking zebu. Don't overcondition him, could lead to health problems :)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
He does look in good condition. He's probably healthier than you think.
CHicken, how much experience do you have with cattle in general?

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
He does look in good condition. He's probably healthier than you think.
CHicken, how much experience do you have with cattle in general?
I don't have a lot with cattle. I've trained all my horses(one a wild mustang), a mini mule (he went through 4 homes because he tried to kick your head in), llamas and an alpaca, my emu etc..... but this is my first in the cattle department. :p

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found these two images off of Yahoo........
195_zebu_miniature_bull_main_small.jpg

This is how I am use to seeing them, so I guess in my mind he looks thin, LOL

Here is one next to a reg Brahma Bull.

195_zebuvsbull.jpg

My guy seems to be coming around. He looks for me at feeding time. I opened the door to his pen to let him in the pasture, it took him 1/2 hour to go through it. He watched us, but avoid us.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
But, those bulls are older and have matured out. There is a difference between what an immature bull should look like and a mature bull.

I'm glad he is coming around.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
But, those bulls are older and have matured out. There is a difference between what an immature bull should look like and a mature bull.

I'm glad he is coming around.
LOL, I know they are more mature, I'm just not use to seeing ribs. ;) He is doing well. I can approach him to a certain distance before he turns and trots off. No aggressive expressions yet. I'm going to let him hang out and relax around the pasture for awhile until he starts to get curious about all the other animals coming to me. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A more immature animal will go through stages of growth where they will be thinner. Your bull, judging by the pics, is probably in one of those stages and is not what I would call skinny. Like I said before, a few pounds added is okay but, don't go far. If he is done with the growth spurt and your feeding him well (I'm sure you are) he will naturally put the weight back on and prepare for his next growth spurt.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
chickenzoo said:
I got a young, just around a Year old Zebu Bull - with horns (not big though- yet). My friend got the one I wanted (Grey Polly) :he , Anyhow, he has not been handled much but allows me to touch his face, put my fingers in his mouth, touch him all over with a crop. He does shake and pee from being frightened. He will head butt things when he gets scared. I dragged him out of the trailer by myself with my paint pony in between us as a blocker. He just tried to avoid me. In the small muddy pen they had him and the other in, he would continuously butt the other one while we got them in the trailer, from what looked like stress. He is skinny, but hair coat looks shiny. His eyes look bright. His hooves have probably never been done. I nipped the tips of his horns off, called the vet to schedule a "gelding" and to look him over and then I gave him some Safe Guard. - Now What? Can you have a Bulls horns taken down? Will gelding him help his attitude? What can I give him to gain weight? What can I do to tame him? He is now in a pen, with two goats , a sheep and a potbelly to keep him company. He does not try to butt me yet, unless you put something like a feed scoop etc. in front of his face, then he aims at it. :idunno What can I do to make him a pet, is there any hope for him?
Number one thing I want to address here is this: DO NOT under ANY circumstances make a pet out of him! Any bull no matter the age should not be treated as a pet nor should EVER be trusted. I think it's a GOOD thing that he's avoiding you like he is. That means he's treating you with respect and giving you your space. It's obvious that he's on the top end of the pecking order with his other companion, which is why he goes after the feed scoop or bucket first before the other one.

Cattle are different from horses. Cattle don't need to be as pampered as you think he does, nor do they need as much attention. And, as Kitty said, it's not gelding, it's steering. :) His dominant behaviour probably won't change if he's cut, but he certainly will be a less potential for danger for you if he gets over his fear of you and instead of being gentle, becomes something you can't handle.

Now as for him being in the condition he is, I disagree with what other folks have been saying. For his age, and as a bull, he should be in better condition than that. IF he was being used as a breeding bull (since they do start them at yearling age) he would have more cover over his ribs than he does now. It seemed very strange to me that he would have health problems if he was overconditioned. I don't know where you got that, MReit. Because, as a Zebu or Brahman, he is a beef animal. Plain and simple. And because of that he should have a bit more condition on him than now. On an American score of BSC, I would put him at a 4.5 out of 9. To give you an example, those bulls you posted would be a BCS of 7 and 8, respectively. A yearling like him should be at a 6.5 BCS scale for his age and growth rate if he was to be used as a breeding animal. THAT, my friend, certainly ain't overconditioning.

BUT, since you are NOT using him as a breeding animal, I'd most definately cut him, feed him a bit of grain and alfalfa cubes everyday along with the grass he's grazing, and put him in the freezer when he's at a good weight. I know I'm being blunt, but like I said he SHOULD NOT be treated as a pet, nor ever BE a pet. If you disagree with me on the freezer part that's fine, but it's something I would seriously consider if I were in your shoes. :)