So I got a Mini Zebu Bull......>>>>>> New Bull & Heifer Update..

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am not going to eat him. I don't eat any of my critters, but to each their own way. They sell Zebu bulls all over here as pets, just like a Llama, Alpaca, sheep, goats etc. They have shows, they have them in petting zoos etc. I don't think I'd ever trust this one totally because he was not bottle raised, but kids show these things..... :idunno

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kids also show Holstein, Guernsey, Jersey, Ashyre, Angus, Hereford, etc. as calves, heifers, cows, steers, and bulls. Doesn't mean they don't need to be treated with utmost care. Believe me, even the most well trained animal can give trouble.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am talking about Pet, in the term.... not for eating, can be brushed and be walked on a lead.
Not teach it tricks and have it live in the House - Pet. With all large farm animals, care is needed. Any of them can hurt you, but I know bulls can even more so. I was just looking for suggestions from other Zebu owners and if anyone knew the best way to break him to halter and leading without mowing me down. LOL

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
chickenzoo said:
I am talking about Pet, in the term.... not for eating, can be brushed and be walked on a lead.
Not teach it tricks and have it live in the House - Pet. With all large farm animals, care is needed. Any of them can hurt you, but I know bulls can even more so. I was just looking for suggestions from other Zebu owners and if anyone knew the best way to break him to halter and leading without mowing me down. LOL
Until this post, IMO, you have not demonstrated that you know they can harm you. Some people go into having an animal because they feel it's cute or feel sorry for it with the conditions it's living in and have no clue what the animal is about.

When I worked for the neighbor growing up, we would halter them and hook them on behind a tractor. Going in slow gear we would gently pull the animal forward. You have to go really slow and pay close attention. Sometimes, when the halter is really tight and they refuse to step, you need to stop and keep the forward pressure on. Let them come forward before you move again. What you are trying to do is teach that the forward pull means for them to walk not to drag them all over. By using the tractor we saved ourselves the fight.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought the part in my original posts about me using my horse in between him and I as a blocker, just encase he decided to charge me suggested I knew he could hurt me. :lol:
I had him in a small pen, and as I pulled on the lead if he took one step forward I released the pressure. He seemed to pick it up quick. I wish I had a tractor, sure would feel safer.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I would add that when people are *showing* all those breeds of cows, they are generally NOT showing any bulls. Around here a very few shows have classes for young bulls but not anything past a year, and there are very very few shown. THose that are, are handled and trained from birth by experienced showmen.
I don't know of any experienced cattleperson who willingly handles an intact bull any more than absolutely necessary. Beef breed bulls are known to be more calm, but they are usually out on pasture with a harem to calm them down. Of course, then they get protective and you are back to square one.
If you want a pet, the sooner he is steered the better. Then first get him used to being tied, then being touched by hand all over. At his age you may never get to the pet part. You may get to the "willingly rubbing his nose over the fence" part, but not the "you can get in the pen with me" part.

There is a theory that all animals ( including humans) form their basic response behaviors in their youth depending upon what they are exposed to. If one misses the window of opportunity, it is very very hard to make a breakthrough in a personality.

And if you are not feeling safe, don't kid yourself. Listen to your intuition. I understand emus are quite dangerous. Would you try to tame a half-grown emu?

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most of the ones I see shown, being handled, taught to pull a cart, being messed with are all bulls. Most are intact that I have seen........... ???????

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No clue as here too, they have limited bulls being shown. It's usually a really top quality bull that is shown due to the unpredictability of bulls. Heifers and cows in strange territory can be bad enough.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm in Florida. Here they sell them all over as pets. They have big shows, which they dress them up in their "native" costumes, have them in petting zoos,.... yes Bulls. I was hoping to get advise on how to best teach him to lead, to train him for other uses etc.. since this says Behaviors & Handling techniques... I didn't want to get people upset because I had a bull, I wanted to train him to do stuff and NOT put him in the freezer and I didn't think I would have to prove anything to anyone just to get a little help. I know there are a lot of people that do stuff with bulls besides eat them, I was just hoping some of them were on here. :/