So I got a Mini Zebu Bull......>>>>>> New Bull & Heifer Update..

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have a problem rubbing my steers head. Since this is going to be a pet I'd work on problem areas, I'd mess w/ his head alot to desensitize him til he tolerates it. I think it's instint, seems like most don't like having their heads messed w/ at first, I had to get Drama over it to.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to mind his head scratched, it's when I move to his off side that he gets nervous. His left side is the problem side, the one most people mess with horses on. He has stopped shaking and peeing. He is more relaxed then before. I've tried to give him horse treats and a banana but he spit them all out. He took a little grain... but just a little. It's funny when I go to catch him. The Emus see me trying to get him and then they decide to "Help" me. He doesn't seem bothered by them chasing behind him, leaping and jumping in the air. He'll at least be use to a lot of things............. :lol:

a-2-zebu

Just born
Reaction score
:frow Hi, this is my first post so I won't talk much :duc YET.

I have a small herd of Zebu, 11 after a new birth 2 days ago! It would have been 12, but one of them found their way to my freezer.

:caf There is a web site that may help some, it has helped me.
http://www.americanminiaturezebuassociation.org/pages/yourzebu.htm

I have found that Zebu are such a popular "Backyard" breed, just search the word "zebu" and what ever it is that you want to know. Like "Zebu halter train". Just off hand I remember a video showing all this on-line.

Remember Cows LOVE a brush and curry comb.

Part of the address is missing in the post did I do something Wrong? Good with animals, not so with this computer thing yet, give me another 50 years or so!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

No, you didn't do anything wrong. The system just doesn't show it all. The link still works. ;)

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome! I cant wait to hear stories and see pics of your herd! yes, we are picture fanatics here, LOL.
:welcome

coopscs

Just born
Reaction score
This is my first post here too, but since I have mini zebus, I figure I could give a bit of useful info for ya.

Zebus are, as others mentioned, naturally leaner, a bit more wild, and (I think) smarter than other cattle. I thought his first picture was just about right. The second picture may be just how he is standing, but I see more rib. They are so small, even after one feeding, mine can look more "full". He actually looks like several of mine, did you get him from the Seffner area?

As you have noticed, they can come around quite nicely. They just need more time to build the trust up. They are leary of strangers, but can be great once they settle down. You can halter and lead train them. I have 1 bull, 4 heifers, 1 cow and one bull calf.

Each and every one of mine have distinctly different personalities, from very loving to just tolerant of me. My adult bull is the sweetest thing and he is my pet. He only shows slight aggression when my cow is in heat and I give him his space. Other than that, he is very docile. He does have his horns and I respect his power, even though he is only 400 lbs. Of course, I've also talked to other Zebu owners and there are mean bulls out there. It just depends on the animal. I bought my bull for his temperment.

Zebu are easy keepers. They eat less, are heat tolerant and disease resistant. I worm only about three times a year. I split a coffee container worth of grain between them all once a day and I still think I overfeed them.

They are great little animals and if you need anything, just holler, I'll try to help.