So... Our future food shortage -

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Which I keep hearing is looming upon us, does anyone else hear about this?

Everywere both online & in person lately I am bumping into raging vegans (why you cruel...!), vegetarians & hearing all sorts of philander about cows farting & how they actually produce more gas on grass than on grain (apparently it takes more digestion) etc, etc when I read a discussion it is usually discussing grain to... Seriously? I hate grain :sick

It's all the environment this & global warming that.... so the past two weeks we made the effort. We switched from using household chemicals (admittedly, we did use too much) to using oranic cleaners (lemon juice, anyone?) I began putting food out for the birds and built 2 bird tables (the chickens raided one & broke it). Now we actually have a blackbird and a robin in our garden :lol:.

We are also trying some other experiments. Currently there are onions in a bag in the BEDROOM (yes, I know) & we are growing tons of indoor plants edible & not-so-much. The rabbits are indoors to in an X-pen, so it's pretty, well, unusual to say the least.

I was just wondering since the larger livestock & grain production seem to be the bigger issue - aren't humans actually not designed to eat grain? And do we really need to eat beef?
Am not altogether sure what all the fuss is about really, I wouldn't care about living without beef, fish & pork as long as I have fowl, eggs, rabbits & gamebirds.
I would be really interested to hear the views of other members - could you live without eating larger livestock & switch to smaller game? Or do you love it too much?

As I stated, I only really like smaller animals & I love my salads, vegetables & eggs. I do well on it to. Never eat cereal at all, can't stomach the stuff (literally) & don't really enjoy red meat or pork. Fruit I don't like much either. But I do eat a real variety, nonetheless

It's a shame more people are not backyard farming. I wasn't going to bother growing veggies, but now I've started I'm loving it. It would probably solve world hunger & everyone could eat organic if everybody farmed in their garden & indoors perhaps to. :D

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A few pics to show you guys :frow We brought the rabbits in due to the weather. "Quail" came in to. Don't worry, they are all used to being housed together.
IMG_20141210_132621.jpg
IMG_20141210_132529.jpg
IMG_20141210_132519.jpg
IMG_20141126_152937.jpg
IMG_20141210_132621.jpg
IMG_20141210_132529.jpg
IMG_20141210_132519.jpg
IMG_20141126_152937.jpg
IMG_20141126_153041.jpg
IMG_20141210_132548.jpg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could definitely live without large animal meat. The occasional deer or cow would probably be nice, but not necessary.
I agree that a potential food shortage could easily be solved with more people growing their own - at least veggies. My 2+ acres can grow plenty of meat and I don't even have a large garden, but it supplements our diet nicely with much of it going to the animals.
There is still a lot of stuff I would need to be entirely self-sufficient, but that is actually what we're working towards :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Which I keep hearing is looming upon us, does anyone else hear about this?"

No, I have not heard this.

"I was just wondering since the larger livestock & grain production seem to be the bigger issue"

Why is that?

"I would be really interested to hear the views of other members - could you live without eating larger livestock & switch to smaller game? Or do you love it too much?"

I love steak and bacon too much to give it up.

"It would probably solve world hunger & everyone could eat organic if everybody farmed in their garden"

Politicians are the cause of world hunger. The agricultural price support policies in the west and the lack of strong political institutions and rule of law in third world countries that suffer from hunger.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Politicians are the cause of world hunger. The agricultural price support policies in the west and the lack of strong political institutions and rule of law in third world countries that suffer from hunger.

Thank you @OneFineAcre VERY WELL SAID!:thumbsup

Politicians are your biggest issue.
At this time there is no "food shortage". There are seasons where there may be drought, heavy rains etc that influence a particular region or crop but in general, worldwide, there is no shortage.
Year to year, region to region some crops will be great others poor. This has been cyclical for thousands of years.

As far as everyone growing their own food.... um, not gonna happen... where would the millions of people living in the cities grow their food?

Many "proclaimed vegans" are clueless.... it seems this is the new thing the young people are into and have no idea what they are doing, or half the stuff they say they haven't a clue about.

Now just play that one out logically... everyone stops eating animals. .... think about it....;)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since we are talking about the food supply, here is a question for you BYHer's

"What is “the cheapest, most nutritious and bountiful food that has ever existed in human history?” Hint: It has 390 calories. It contains 23g, or half a daily serving, of protein, plus 7% of daily fiber, 20% of daily calcium and so on"

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sad.... The McDonald's Double Cheeseburger...says economics writer Stephen Dubner and professor Steven Levitt, who co-wrote the million-selling books on the hidden side of everything.

“Not only are the empty calories cheaper,” he reported, “but the healthy foods are becoming more and more expensive. Vegetables and fruits are rapidly becoming luxury goods.” Where else but McDonald’s can poor people obtain so many calories per dollar?

ugh....

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sad.... The McDonald's Double Cheeseburger...says economics writer Stephen Dubner and professor Steven Levitt, who co-wrote the million-selling books on the hidden side of everything.

“Not only are the empty calories cheaper,” he reported, “but the healthy foods are becoming more and more expensive. Vegetables and fruits are rapidly becoming luxury goods.” Where else but McDonald’s can poor people obtain so many calories per dollar?

ugh....

You win the prize.
mcdoublecopy102528-525x400.jpg