So what did this??? graphic picture.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend's Alpine doe was attacked by a coyote/dog/raccoon/bear/cat/oppssum/???

This is her underbelly and the only other thing torn up was a foreleg. No damage to udder or neck. She was loose on the property with her 3 month old kids, one kid has a scratch on its shoulder, other than that untouched.

No puncture wounds so some say not a dog or coyote. Others say coyote. Some say a very aggressive raccoon. Any guesses?

chuga.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy Cow! I have no idea, but that's nasty! Poor girl, I hope she recovers quickly!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any big cats in the area? Cats usually go for the neck, but if it missed and grabbed a front leg and was raking the belly with it's claws.....??? I dunno.....

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those look like claw marks to me. Poor thing!

My grandma in the Folsom area has had a mountain lion show up in her lower pasture....

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that doesn't think it was a coyote. Coyotes are smart. Would have gone after the kids.

And a big cat would have gone for the neck.

I don't know, but if a raccoon did that I would be concerned with rabies.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone suggested coyote pups but IDK, it looks like scratch marks and not punctures. A friend that lost most of her goats to a dog attack doesn't think canine either.

My friend said that this doe is the kind that would try and protect her young so maybe she reared up at the predator and exposed her belly and the animal lunged at her.

We do have mountain lions and bobcats, but I wouldn't expect the mountain lion to lose.

Praying that the does makes it through this and that her new LGD (one of my pups) grows up quickly.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone suggested coyote pups but IDK, it looks like scratch marks and not punctures. A friend that lost most of her goats to a dog attack doesn't think canine either.

My friend said that this doe is the kind that would try and protect her young so maybe she reared up at the predator and exposed her belly and the animal lunged at her.

We do have mountain lions and bobcats, but I wouldn't expect the mountain lion to lose.

Praying that the does makes it through this and that her new LGD (one of my pups) grows up quickly.
Please mention to your friend the possibility of rabies exposure because she could be exposing herself

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will do that and it is a horrifying thought; wish there was a test for it.

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have barb wire on the property? It looks like the fence tore her up I had a pony go through barb wire it wipe his stomach open in his chest looked like that it looks like slash marks