SOLD!!! Mini Boer Goat for Pet -- Western MT

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a mini Boer wether who would work well as a pet or 4H project. He was destined for the freezer but he's too small and terribly cute. Asking $50 OBO.

2544_dscn0721.jpg

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
"mini Boer" - Did he just not grow, or is he a ND or pygmy cross?
I don't know where in 4H he would fit (other than to just participate)...? Do you guys have a 'mini-meat' class? Now I want to write the board and have one added (it would be great for the little kids!). :D People in this area put even small pygmy goats in the freezer, but... He is cute, and looks like a pet prospect!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hardy&Healthy said:
"mini Boer" - Did he just not grow, or is he a ND or pygmy cross?
I don't know where in 4H he would fit (other than to just participate)...? Do you guys have a 'mini-meat' class? Now I want to write the board and have one added (it would be great for the little kids!). :D People in this area put even small pygmy goats in the freezer, but... He is cute, and looks like a pet prospect!
I have no clue what he is crossed with now. When I bought him as a bottle baby, he was supposed to be a Nubian/Boer cross, but now I'm not so sure. At 9 months old, he's smaller than my Pygmy! And he has the fuzziest coat, making me think he has something like a cashmere goat in his background, but those are usually big.

So, I have a very cute pet prospect.

I have no idea about 4H, but he'd make a great critter for someone to raise. Very gentle.

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
All Boers have some cashmere... Some Fullblood Boers produce more cashmere than others! We collect it (just put out what is easy to grab as they are shedding, or pull it off the fence from where they rub) and sell it to a spinner. It's a nice little secondary income. LOL :D I have had many people come to look at my goats and tell me something to the effect of "your goats are full of worms, look at there coats"... Umm, no. That's cashmere! They follow with a " No, cashmere goats have long hair"... Umm, no. That is not the cashmere, that is their guard hairs. It is nice to see I am not the only one that can tell the difference between a worm-coat and a cashmere one!

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Maybe cross post him / have more than one listing. One in a standard pet &/or meat area, and one in a fiber goat classified section or site...? They may not care at all that he is small as long as he is 'full-O-fluff'! And for that price they should snatch him up!
:bow

As for his size- Around here (IN), people are notorious for crossing Pygmy with the Boer. You can pick up Pygmy goats for $5 - $50 all day long, invest in one Boer buck, and be in the commercial business. I don't think it is fair to the small doe, but that is my opinion. These people tend not to sell from the farm (as to avoid seeing the dams). They ship them off to the auctions... And at the auction, if it is colored like a Boer, it will sell like a Boer! $$$ If they throw a dairy-ish color, they say "Nubian cross" or "Nubian/Boer cross" to misslead. Once again, all lies for the $$$
:somad

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hardy&Healthy said:
All Boers have some cashmere... Some Fullblood Boers produce more cashmere than others! We collect it (just put out what is easy to grab as they are shedding, or pull it off the fence from where they rub) and sell it to a spinner. It's a nice little secondary income. LOL :D I have had many people come to look at my goats and tell me something to the effect of "your goats are full of worms, look at there coats"... Umm, no. That's cashmere! They follow with a " No, cashmere goats have long hair"... Umm, no. That is not the cashmere, that is their guard hairs. It is nice to see I am not the only one that can tell the difference between a worm-coat and a cashmere one!
Huh, people think that coat is a worm coat? Go figure. I looked at that coat and said "wow, he's got cashmere in him someplace -- that's an incredible coat." I've seen wormy coats -- those are just awful.

Well, I'll be darned, I didn't know that about Boers.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hardy&Healthy said:
Maybe cross post him / have more than one listing. One in a standard pet &/or meat area, and one in a fiber goat classified section or site...? They may not care at all that he is small as long as he is 'full-O-fluff'! And for that price they should snatch him up!
:bow

As for his size- Around here (IN), people are notorious for crossing Pygmy with the Boer. You can pick up Pygmy goats for $5 - $50 all day long, invest in one Boer buck, and be in the commercial business. I don't think it is fair to the small doe, but that is my opinion. These people tend not to sell from the farm (as to avoid seeing the dams). They ship them off to the auctions... And at the auction, if it is colored like a Boer, it will sell like a Boer! $$$ If they throw a dairy-ish color, they say "Nubian cross" or "Nubian/Boer cross" to misslead. Once again, all lies for the $$$
:somad
Wow, I had no idea. This guy is definitely boer colored, but what his parents were is making me wonder. I paid almost nothing for him as a bottle baby. Come to think of it, his mom was kind of smallish. I didn't pay a lot for him, but he's been bottle fed and eating my hay for 9 months.

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It looks like you got your little guy "sold". Congrats! Did he go to be a pet, or...?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hardy&Healthy said:
It looks like you got your little guy "sold". Congrats! Did he go to be a pet, or...?
He went with my little doeling to keep her company. The woman wants to try spinning too.