Something stuck in her throat ???

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Amy my 3 mo. old doeling has started this cough, but its more like she's trying to bring something up kind of cough. Like a hair ball but goats don't get hair balls. This doesn't happen on a constant bases, only now an then. She is totally fine in all aspects. All I know is that when one of my dogs do it, I tell them to go get a drink, and that's, that. Could my little girl be having stomach problems ??? Not sure what to do at this point ??

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is she on pasture or in the barn? How dry is it? In the summer I would suspect she may be inhaling dust or hay if she is in the barn. It may be hot and dry air. I wouldn't suspect pneumonia this time of year and while it could be lung worm, they are not that common.

Is she a new arrival or has she been there awhile?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others, mostly anyway :)

Where is she when she coughs? Is it wherever she happens to be or in a certain area? Do you have lots of snails or slugs where you live?

She could have cocci, but I don't think that is why she is coughing. It is a good idea to have a fecal done anyway.

BUT with the lungworm, it requires a Baermanns float.... It is highly inaccurate, and can be costly depending on what lab you have to send it to. Most people will tell you to give them a dose of Ivermectin, if she stops coughing it was probably lungworm.

Are you able to get a video and post it? Knowing how the goat is coughing is a big thing. Given her age, she could also be coughing because she had some cud stuck in her throat.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had her for 2 1/2 mos. now. She's in a barn, no pasture yet, but I do cut down branches for her and the other two doelings. Its been humid big time lately, and I keep them clean. She is do for a worming soon.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was thinking more on the side of (Having problems with bring up a cud), because she has reg. poop.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was thinking more on the side of (Having problems with bring up a cud), because she has reg. poop.
Not all internal parasites cause scours or dog logs. A goats could have a 2000 EPG and a famacha score of E-5 and still have normal pellets :)

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So perhaps I should do up all of them for their worming sooner than later.??!!
P.S. What does it mean if they are constipated/ Pooping so called dog logs.??

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not saying you should worm them. I hope my post didn't come off as rude either :hide I think I get a little carried away :rolleyes:

Dog logs is goat poo that looks like dog poo, goats can get that from new feed, new forage, hay etc. It could also be from parasites.

I ONLY worm my goats if the fecal shows a parasite load (with 1 exception-lung worm), worming on a schedule causes parasites to become resistant to the dewormer.

The type of wormer is very important too, there are different types of worms that require different wormers.

Do you have a state lab? Our lab charges $10-15 for a Mcmasters method fecal test. ( I run my own)

If you have anymore questions, just ask :)