Something wrong with my Buck

FreyasMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I moved my buck out to my inlaws when my doe gave birth 6-13-14. He has been staying in a fenced in grass area with chickens. He is fed an all stock, and given horse treats. Has an automatic waterer. They throw some scraps/leftovers in for the chickens. I just got a call from my mother inlaw saying that he isnt acting right (not eating or taking treats) and when she was leading him to another area she noticed "something in his pee" and then said it looks like he may have diarrhea. She sent photos and I have attached those. It kind of looks like a worm, from his pee? And i notice some blood on his behind. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and what I need to do? I already figured I would go out there tomorrow and worm him and add some antibiotic to his water.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
*Disclaimer- I am not a vet*

I would call your vet ASAP!

I would take his temp, check eyelids, and basically check the whole goat over and gather the most info you can to give it to your vet. Are you able to get a fecal on him?
----
Has he been fed anything different? Was he just moved before this happened? Have you checked his pasture to make sure nothing is poisonous?

Given the fact that he was recently moved, I'm guessing internal parasites. Moving an animal to a new location can be very stressful- causing a parasite bloom. Worms and/or Oocysts can multiply like crazy! The blood is very disturbing and another reason why I think parasites. Internal parasites can take down a goat very quickly.

I would wait on deworming if you can get a vet out or get a
fecal run tomorrow. If you don't know what worms you are dealing with, you are basically shooting in the dark.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FreyasMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My local goat connection had me give him cattle bolus, forced some water and bio mycin 200
He is too weak to fight me but strong enough to stand and walk. We are considering starting an IV.
His eye lids are pale. He doesn't have stool coming out, rather a clear/yellowy liquid and what appears to be some sort of tissue. Maybe stomach lining?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor guy! It may be the intestinal lining. The bolus, what is in it?

Are you able to get a hold of a vet?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are going to save him you NEED a vet.
When goats go down they can go FAST

FreyasMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When i left he was drinking water.
The bolus is antibacterial sulfamethazine.
I cant afford a vet, so we will do our best and hope for the best.