Sooo,this happened

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I finally brought home 2 little gilts, 8 weeks old, granddaughters of American badboy, not that I'm familiar, but sounds impressive. ..
They're doing well, so far (3 days) I was told the bigger girl was better quality and should be the one I keep, but she's a little aggressive, very very skittish, and takes much longer to adjust and learn than her smaller sister.
I'm still learning. ..this morning when i fed I noticed the bigger gilt was arching her back down. ...looked like she was avoiding an imaginary hand touching her back. . I thought she was going to lay down, or, Idk, chilling her belly in the mud, but she's still doing it. ...behaving normally other than that.
Is this an indication of discomfort? Belly ache? She's still eating, drinking, and sitting in the pool. ....just looks strange and I'm not familiar enough with pigs to know what is normal behavior.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay, in looking for an answer I came across a disorder called dippity pig. ...which may be what I'm dealing with.
I've watched her for awhile, and her dipping has become falling in her hind legs, she bounces right back, and she has no rash or lesions, but again, this girl is much less tolerant of changes, the move has been much more rough on her than the other, who is perfectly fine.
No squealing of pain, i haven't tried to touch her. they're both laying comfortably in the shade now, but I'm terrified. Any ideas, any advice, any suggestions would be helpful.
Edit:yup, dippity pig. She now has weeping lesions forming on her back. I've provided more shade, fresh water to drink and in their pool, and gave them some chilled cantaloupe rinds. I don't know how I can calm her any more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... this is something I've never heard of (not really surprising since I've never had or really researched pigs)... How weird! Had to google it and saw some pics. wow. stress induced. From what I read, it's a short term thing and should clear up on its own. And not life threatening, just temporary and painful. Sorry your little girl is dealing with this. Hope it clears up quickly.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to say it sounds like she carries the stress gene. She may be better quality, but, any time she stresses out she will have an episode. Pigs with the stress gene are prone to heart attacks.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that she's back to normal this morning, aside from a few scabs on her back. Some videos I'd seen showed much worse.
In any case, I won't be keeping her. Not decided on the other girl, I'm not sure pigs are for me. I may just raise 2 each year to butcher instead of having my own sow and boar.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's good! I'd watch her closely though. Keep her well shaded and give her a poolto cool down in if possible.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you decide to get breeders make sure you try to find some that are stress negative, then you wont have to worry so much. All pigs are not the same, they really do have their own personalities. When we select new breeders from off the famr we go to the sellers and i sit in the pen with the piglets, i let them investigate my, i touch them. Watch their reactions, how they move, how they walk, how long their body is, how square it is, etc. Usually takes me 30-45 minutes to pick pigs.

I look for long, square pigs, who seem relaxed even with my presence there or those who relax the fastest. Second are those who learn to accept me petting/scratching/rubbing the fastest. Third is who gets picked on the most and who gets picked on the least. The goal is a correct laid back smart accepting middle of the pecking order pig or four lol.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dippity pig? Never heard of it either. What you can learn on this site....... :thumbsup

I am glad she is better. Keep her happy, feed her well and off to slaughter. We raised 3 pigs last year and it was a good experience, I am sure we will do it again this fall.

Latest posts