Starting from scratch with goats

Onyx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In the next couple of months I'll be moving cross-country to my new one acre plot of land. Very excited.

I plan to keep just a few dwarf dairy goats (Nigerians and maybe a Nubian or two), chickens and rabbit (as well as a pony or two...paddocks for which will take at least half my acre). Have plenty of experience with rabbits but will be new to chickens and goats.

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on but would love some advice from those with experience.

I don't have a lot of land (more later, hopefully), so I know I'll have to purchase lots of extra feed to supplement what I grow for the animals. I'm totally fine with that as this is more of a "want to have good healthy food to eat and drink" than a money making or money saving venture.

My question is regarding goat fencing. I'd be interested to hear what people think is a good amount of land to fence off for say, 6 dwarf goats. By which I mean, not so much for grazing/foraging, but for room to move around, play and exercise to be happy and healthy. Secondly, what kind of fence is the best to prevent escape? Considering it's a relatively small area, I should have the funds to be able to fence it well with whatever is the best method. I tend to like pre-made panels rather than strung wire, don't ask me why, but I am prepared to be flexible if strung wire is better for some reason. Also, gates... is there some type that is better?

Thanks for your time :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem with the pre-made panels is that many of them have holes that are too big so the goats can get through them. You can get some with 4x4 or 2x4 squares but they are $$. The 2x4 4' no climb is really good for goats. No heads will be getting stuck. I run a hot wire on mine too just to keep them from scratching on the fence, keeps the fence nicer. As far as gates, whatever works. I use the pipe gates but it doesn't matter. Ease of use and a good latch is the determining factor for me.

As far as size of the field. I have 2 standard sized bucks in a field that is about 50x75 and they are more than fine. They don't really exercise or play like dogs, they lay down and chew their cud a lot. :) I also have 13 kids and 6 does in a MUCH smaller area and they are ok too. They will be moving out as soon as the kids are weaned. They don't take as much space as you think.

Goats are addicting. Be careful. ;)

Onyx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@babsbag That is why I asked about room for 6 goats. I don't plan to start with 6 but I know how I am, ha ha. I am sure my two or three starters will multiply >_>

I have heard a lot of people saying that their goats can clear a 4 foot fence from a standstill, though. What is the structural difference between "no climb" wire and... er... "climb" wire? :p

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They call it no climb as the 2x4 squares are just too small for a horse to get their foot through it. I am sure dogs could, and goats too. The one row of good hot wire at knee height keeps the goats and dogs off of the fence. I have had goats, big goats, for 7 years and have never had one go over a 4' fence. Not saying they can't...just saying they don't. I know a lot of goat owners and 4' is pretty much the standard. Fencing that they can't get their head through, and that the babies can't get through, is important. Especially if the goats have horns.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have one of those jumping goats, but she's calmed down now that she's older. I recommend 4' fence, but have posts that extend 8-12" above the fence. Then you can add wire or hot wire if you have a jumping problem. We used hot wire for a few weeks and it hasn't been on in almost 2 years. Just the wire is enough. None of our other goats have jumped the 4' in the rest of the pasture. Just the one.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely use the 2"x4" horse wire. Just bought 8 acres and we are fencing a section at a time. Well worth the money to do it right the first time. Also using 7' T-post for 2 strands of wire at top.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 worries with fencing.
Keeping stock in.
Keeping predators out.
4' tall might keep a goat in but won't keep a coyote or cat out. I have a mongrel mix breed dog that can clear 4' like a deer.
Fence accordingly.

Onyx

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! I have pretty much decided I'll be going with at least a 6' fence for just the reason greybeard brought up ^^.