Stud Goats

Lizjax

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a stud to breed? That's what we may do in the future for our nigerian. Any opinions or suggestions?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried once but my doe was terribly difficult to tell when she was in heat, and she did not like the bucks at all! It didn't work out for us and after driving 45 minutes one way I was not very happy! Also this was with friends and we didn't have to pay them so we quit trying and I bought a buckling!

Also, since then I have read much more about all of those awful things @samssimonsays mentioned and I have a closed herd now.

People do it, and I suppose it's worth it if you have one or two does to breed. I just don't mind keeping a buck and not having to deal with all the craziness.

Edit: now I deal with different craziness! Smelly craziness! Haha

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Yes, smelly LOL. But not all are terribly smelly. And the babies first year (for my boys) is not smelly at all! We were not going to have any boys at all and planned to use a stud but after being unable to find anyone willing to stud and researching the different diseases and all the risks you take with studding, we opted to buy our own. Much easier! Not to mention, SAFER for our herd.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just make sure you understand the risks.
Even IF both farms are fully tested (CL, CAE, &Johnes also TB-Brucellosis) there are risks to BOTH parties.
Many believe "my herd is healthy" & "my friends herd is healthy".
The problem with this is each farm has it's own parasites, and goats develop their immunity to the types of bacteria found on their farm.

When taking a doe to a buck- First, timing is important. If you plan on leaving your doe for a period of time til bred what are the facilities the doe will be staying in?
Do they have a complete dry lot quarantine area for her to stay in while there?
Is she just being turned out with their other goats?
Is she going to be just put in with a buck 24/7 for a period of time?
Do you feel the owner of the buck will be able to tell if your doe is having shipping fever? Stressed?
What precautions will you take before leaving the doe?
The doe should be fully dewormed and treated for any possible external parasites as well.
If her count is reasonable or high she will have a bloom just from transport and stress.

Each one of the questions above are asked because each can have serious ramifications.

When bringing a buck in to a doe- Do you have the facilities to contain the buck? Is the buck a jumper? Does the buck destroy fencing? Will the buck be aggressive towards you?
If turning the buck out with the does you now risk your fields being contaminated by parasites you maay not have, or "super-worms" that may be resistant to the dewormers you use.
Stress will be a fcator. How skilled are you at identifying a problem?
What is your responsibilty as far as IF something happens to the buck?

Far too many have exposed their goats to illness and other long term issues by buck leasing. One member on here ended up contracting CL by leasing a buck. Picking up something like hoof mouth disease would be horrible.

Are there scenarios that are "least risk"? Yes.

We only "lease" a buck under the following conditions.
1) Only to does that were purchased from us and they have NO other goats but OURS. To include the goats must not be with any other livestock such as sheep cows etc.
2) Even though the does are directly from our farm and no other goats have had contact we still require annual testing and documentation of CL, CAE, and Johnes testing. This is to make sure all are clean as titers may change over time.
3) Does come for a short period of time and they remain in our dry lot (quarantine) regardless of the fact they came from our farm.

*We have NEVER allowed a buck off our farm however this year we are only because ALL my quarantine areas are full. This is only for ONE person.
The people meet my requirements of the goats they bought from us are on virgin land - IOW until our goats NO livestock had been on the land.
They have a pen set up for quarantine- NO pasture access at all. Doe will be brought to pen only when cycling.
They are 100% responsible for the buck.

There are a handful of breeders I know that I would allow a buck to breed their does etc. But that is VERRRRRY Few! ;)

Personally I would rather own a buck than lease one.
Less risk. Easier to catch them does cycling, if a does does recycle you are not traveling over again.
Bucks are amazingly sweet and quite wonderful. I own 14 bucks!
Yes, n rut they smell... but the first year is the hardest on the nose!:D Every year thereafter it becomes something different. For us it is the reminder of an incredibly exciting time! Breeding season! We like to say, "love is in the air.":lol:

But not all are terribly smelly. And the babies first year (for my boys) is not smelly at all!

This varies ... We have quite a few bucks that are in their first year and YES they do smell. Some stronger than others.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perfect answer Southern! My buck is in his first year and hardly smells. I'm hoping he's less smelly overall than some I've met! My friends have 5 bucks and they are so sweet. They even have a huge Boer buck named Moose that is a doll. They're not all like that but now that I know they can be sweet, I'm less intimidated by the idea of keeping a buck.

Way more scared of CL than I am of having a buck or two on the property!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some people I have heard have had success with burning bucklings main scent glands during disbudding which greatly reduces the rut scent.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some people I have heard have had success with burning bucklings main scent glands during disbudding which greatly reduces the rut scent.
Not a big fan of that. The does are attracted to that scent and this is why they are often more willing to breed to a mature buck than a young buck.
Some does will reject young non-stinky bucks.

A good example of that is this year I wanted a doe to be bred by a particular buck. He is young and not as "scenty"... she was pummeling him but continually went to the fence where one of the more ROBUST bucks were. Screamin and crying for the other bucks, putting her rear right up on the fence.

We took the buck that we wanted to breed and put him in overnight with the super stinky bucks. Next morning put him back in and she stood there like "come on already". We have seen this many times.
One night in with the stinkos and he smelled just like them.
Did feel a little sorry for him... as you know how he got so stinky ;) :hide

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
One night in with the stinkos and he smelled just like them.
Did feel a little sorry for him... as you know how he got so stinky ;) :hide
Poor "little" guy LOL. I do know how he got that way :hu

We have neither boy smelly right now but our youngest is not interested in the ladies yet either. :rolleyes: He blubbers tho. At his FOOD. :lol:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:

I find my late bloomers are always turn out to be my "true gentlemen"... they court instead of going freaking crazy.
None of my gentlemen blubber they nestle and gently paw, rub up against in such a sweet way.

Latest posts