Swollen udder?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You sure she's never been bred at all? From the pic, her teats -- not the udder per se, but the teats specifically -- look awfully well developed to never have been nursed..

Could be the pic, though...or I may be crazy...but she don't look like an unbred first freshener to me..

:hu

cleo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I don't know anything about the difference between developed and undeveloped goat udders or teats. But I am absolutely sure that she's never been bred. We got them as kids; they are about four years old this year.
I know what you mean, though, there is a little bit of a difference between her udder/teats and her friend's.
But, no, she's never been bred.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Shame on you, Cleo.

I just saw full-body pictures of those two beauties over in the other thread, and I gotta say...there's just no sense in them being four years old and having never been bred.

I mean, if it's a matter of wondering whether or not you can find homes for their kids....someone here can probably help you out with that. Heck, you could probably find someone willing to take them free of charge!

:D :lol:

(For the record...I'm just giving you a hard time... :p)

Seriously, though, have you considered trying to milk her to see if she's actually producing anything? Like someone else mentioned, she could just be a precocious milker.

I've heard tell of an Alpine that developed an udder out of thin air and went on to produce milk every day for seven straight years.

You could be sitting on some really interesting genetics, ya know. :)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I sold a doe to a lady 4 years ago, there's no buck on her place....

She calls me last summer to come look at Pearl....she's swelling up in her 'boobies'...as she calls them.

I explained when I got there what was going on and told her to leave it be...if she didn't mess w/ it, there was a better chance she'd dry off and be fine. (She didn't want to mess w/ milking, that's why she doesn't ever breed them...)

Her brother had other ideas, milked her a couple times...then quit. Poor Pearl ended up having a 'boobie-ectomy' because she got a severe staph infection. Good thing the owner doesn't intend to ever have kids.

My point here is, if you don't *want* milk goats / milk, and she's ok now, don't go seeing if you can get milk out of her and risk causing a problem.