THE FEED DOESN'T CONTAIN RUMENSIN!!!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was just wondering.. I'm feeding my goats something that my mill calls "Goat Ration" but it's basically like a 12% sweetfeed. Would something like this have rumensin in it? I've been feeding it to my horses the last couple of days and haven't had any ill effects. It has like no molasses in it, it's just like a sweetfeed without the sweet.

The label fell off the bag, and the mill we bought it from just went out of business this past week (they're liquidating and shutting down sadly).

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's possible that it may have rumensin, monensin, or decoquinte in it.. If you can't look at the label to be sure, I'd probably avoid feeding it to the horses just to be on the safe side.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I'll Stop feeding it. Ugh and we're pretty much snowed in so I can't get out to get to the feedstore for a few days so I'll have to feed the horses some oats and horse chow. I was giving them the sweetfeed/goat ration as a bit of a pick me up. We got dumped on, about a foot of snow and it's raining too. My little mare has a blanket on but remember that big 4 year old I bought? I can't get a darn blanket on her so she's naked, wet, and cold.

I'll need to get sweetfeed for the horses, hopefully I can find some 12% for horses .. It's the only way I can touch Mylie is with sweetfeed in a tub.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think so. It's a Land O Lakes Canada feed that comes in the mesh bags and is labelled for the mill. I don't know if they have a Canadian webpage... the feed is produced in Peterborough, Ont.

The co-op had a website last time I checked but that information won't be on it.

ETA I went on the Land O Lakes website and they don't advertise that they make a goat line... It gives you options for Dairy Cow, Beef Cow, Swine, and Poultry.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Uh oh. I dunno if this is what you were feeding or not, but it's got Monensin in it.

N-timidator.jpg

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think so. Our land o lakes are forumlated in Canada. I stopped feeding the horses the grain, and they at least one of them has been on it for a couple days with no issues. I'll keep an eye on them, but like I said... no issues so far but I have stopped feeding it. Our feeds do not have any cocci preventative drugs in.

I'm going to call the mill tomorrow, but I'm starting to think it didn't have it in it. My horses seem to be fine but I have stopped feeding it. I wish I still had the bag but I think it was thrown out and there doesn't seem to be any information on Canadian feeds online.

Our feeds are all produced locally, bagged, and shipped in.

I'm kind of freaking out, I hope I haven't just signed a death warrant for my mares. I didn't think about it at first because its just a sweetfeed. I can't afford to call the vet in this week, she's coming next week for the goats. The mill I bought the feed from has a website but no product information on it.

:(:(:/

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Rumensin/Monensin to affect a horse? The one mare got probably 4 baking sized cups of it, and the other about a feed scoop sized amount. The one who got the feed scoop also had alfalfa pellets mixed in so I'm not sure if it was really a scoop size of the goat ration.

I'm usually really good about making sure each animal gets the right feed and no one gets someone elses but I didn't really think about it with the goat ration. I figured since it was a loose grain (no molasses, it's 12% goat ration) that without the molasses how would the rumensin stick to any of the feed?

I'm so worried now but I won't be able to call the mill until tomorrow/vet until tomorrow. I checked on the horses just now and both seem fine, Luna who has arthritis got spooked by my flashlight and bolted off, she didn't look to be in pain (I read up some, Monensin causes extreme muscle pain, restlessness, and if fed in huge amounts instant death). Mylie is my normally fairly spooky girl and she spooked as per usual and cantered off into the field, looked fine, they don't seem restless or in pain and no one is dead yet. Luna has digested the feed at least once already (she had some yesterday) and Mylie probably has as well as she got some small mouthfuls yesterday (she needs her teeth floating so most of it ended up on the ground).

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to dig through the goat feed bin, sometimes my mum drops the label in there just in case. I spoke to a friend who works for the co-op I bought the grain from and he says he's not sure but he doesn't think it has rumensin but to call the owner tomorrow about it.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
when a local mill accidentally sent horse feed to a farm thar contained moneisin(sp), some horses had instant signs, others had kidney damage and it took awhile longer for the problems to develop. i know the vet took blood daily for a week and then weekly for awhile. it was very expensive for the mill, devestating for the farm

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found some cases in western Canada of this happening. Their horses developed restlessness and extreme muscle pain and had some cardiac concerns. From what I read it was fairly soon after they ingested it, maybe a day before they started to notice the restlessness. The horses have digested and pooped and no ill effects so far. I'm calling the feedstore in the morning unless I find the label.

CM, on the website you provided this is their warning for horse owners...

WARNING: If you have horses, DO NOT FEED any feed with monensin. Over a period of time the monensin will kill a horse!

I only fed for 2 days, I'm going to contact the mill tomorrow to make sure. I'm still freaking out. I dug through the goat bin and there was no label so I guess I threw out the bags.

Latest posts