The story about my donkey. Please read!!!

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Ellie. I live on Rennwood farm! It's not a well known farm. At all. It's in the middle of Minnesota in a small town called Big Lake. We raise dogs. Yep. Oh, and also rabbits. And cats too. Yeah, can't forget the cats!! I am new to BYH, so I hope this goes well! Read on!!

The only herd animals we have right now are goats. Yes. Goats! They are adorable, loving, cute Pygmy goats! We just got them not too long ago! Anyway, enough about goats . . . lets get to why I'm writing this at all. It's about a donkey. You probably guessed it long before you stared reading this!! ;) I want to raise a donkey. A miniature gelding donkey. I know you might think I'm crazy! But I want too! My mom keeps warning me how hard it will be, and that I might get very frustrated and want to give up. But I don't think I will. But, that's why I've come to BYH. I need support. I won't get the donkey until next year. But in that time, I want to get as much info as I can!! I am very determined to do it! To say I did and to have the experience! Of course, I will be a year older and a year more mature when I get the baby . . . :p BUT. That doesn't matter. I will still be me. I love animals. Animals are literally my life. I have never gone a day in my life without owning an animal. My family has ALWAYS had animals! We've had rabbits, cockatiels, dogs, cats, goats, chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, frogs, fish, mice, hermit crabs, down to butterflies and caterpillars and even worms at one point! you get my point!? So I am an animal freak. So, this will be my dream come true next year, and I can't wait! All I need is patience and kindness and love towards the donkey, and things will turn out fine. I hope. :) We have five acres for the donkeys (and other animals) to run around in! ;) I love to run around in it myself!!! Then, we have three extra acres we use for the family. And the dogs! I'm begging Mom to get a round pen to work with the animals, but I've heard they cost a lot. :\ Well, that pretty much ends my story! I will be happy to post more in the (not so far) future! Especially when I get the little donkey!

Oh, and if any of you have name ideas for the donkey (I can't find any good ones) I would be happy to hear them!!!! ;)

~Ellie

Last edited:

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! I can't wait!!!!! X)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome, from Texas! My limited experience with miniature donkeys is to suggest that you get a female or a castrated male. Jacks are a pain in the .... behind! Other than that they can be sweet loving creatures.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We haven't raised miniature donkeys, but our first farm pet was a full sized jack named Paco. We LOVED Paco! He was awesome! Our children could sit on his bare back and ride him (with supervision, of course), my husband rode him as well. Eventually we got him a Jenny to love on and had some beautiful babies. Donkeys can be stubborn, but they can also be loving and sweet. Good luck!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us. Good Luck with your research and hopefully others with donkey's will stop by!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
welcome from Arklahoma!! and i agree with frustratedearthmother, be sure you get a girl or castrated boy. I've never had a donkey but have friends that do and love them dearly. now what are you going to do to prove to your mom that you are mature enough for the responsibility?

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I forgot to mention . . . I AM getting a gelding! ;) I've heard how awesome donkeys can be! I think my mom knows that I am responsible enough! :p but, we'll see over the next year! Thanks to everyone for your warm welcomes and advice!!!!! I love BYH already!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I've had horses and ponies but never a donkey. Is there anyone around you with one that might let you help with chores and learn about them?

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, we have some friends up in Duluth . . . they have donkeys. And there are TONS of horse stables around my house . . . Mom said I could go ask for a job at one of them. Sure, that's horses . . . but maybe they know stuff about donkeys too!