The weaning blues...

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 3 mommas. I have pulled all of their babies as of a week ago yesterday. They share a fence line so they can see and smell each other, but cannot nurse. Babies have gotten used to being on pasture and now leave the fence line enough to eat and come around every now and again, however their mommas are having an incredibly hard time with it. They almost never leave the fence line. They don't go out in the pasture to eat. They get grain on the stand, but from what I have seen, they are hardly eating much at all. They've lost some weight and just look depressed. What can I do? How long will this last? Do I just let it run its course??

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you sure the kids are not nursing through the fence as that would keep the does near the fence? One year I divided the doe area in half with a long stock panel and put the kids on one side and the does on the other. I didn't think the kids could nurse through the stock panel. Wrong! Caught them in the act and had to put in a third pen (which was scheduled, but had to do sooner than later).

If you are positive the kids are not snacking on the does then I'd just leave the does be. The does will adjust, just make sure you milk them out when they are on the stand... don't let them hold back any of their milk for the kids.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The fence is lined with hotwire, they can't be nursing...

We are milking them out completely... I guess I'll just let time run its course.. Thanks. UGH I just hate seeing them so depressed!