Thinking about getting a Nubian...

What's your favorite breed of milk goat?

• Total voters

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I will be selling my Myotonic doe, Magnolia, and I will need (*want*) a replacement for her. I was planning on keeping her doelings as replacements, but they both have extra teats, so nope, we'll be selling them along with Magnolia. :(

Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could get a full-sized Nubian doe or doeling. I would like to get a Mini-Nubian, but they are so rare in our area (I have only seen one, and that was a buckling) that I decided it would be cheaper to get a full-sized one and breed it to a Nigerian Dwarf. :)
Would this be a good choice? How do you like your Nubians? I've heard that they are pretty vocal, but we have some really loud Alpine goats (Clover's kids, that is), so I don't think it'll be much different.

Also, what is your favorite breed of milk goat (standard or mini)? Their personality, how their milk tastes, etc.?

Thanks!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I LOVE my Nubains. I have a Saana/Nubian that was my first goat, she is louder than my Nubians. I also love my alpines and know people who cross the two breeds in that too. I think the Alpines tastes sweeter than the Nubian. I don't know about mini's as I have no experience with them.

My Nubian doe is a bit of a ... ditz.... FOr a lack of a better way to put it. I love her dearly but boy, sometimes I wish there was a bit more movement up there. My alpines just look for things to do that they shouldn't and get into everything. But I love them lol. All of mine just want to be with their people. If you can find someone with the breeds to try the milk and meet the goats you will get a great feel for the breeds.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
One thing was that my doe has a very deep vocalization and when we first got her and she was distressed, she sounded like a man yelling help while her kid sounded like a kid yelling mom and help.... Be warned, you could get some funny questions from the neighbors :lol: Our neighbor asked if we got a cow hers is so deep.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I loved working with Nubians. I didn't find them any more vocal than the Saanens, toggenburg, alpines, and Nigis I've also worked with. They produced LOTS of great milk and were generally sweet and personable.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We breed Nigerians exclusively
My favorite other goat that we don't have is Nubians
Love the ears and those faces

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lamanchas. Love how they are a quiet goat. Easy keepers and overall hardy. I think they have wonderful personalities.

They are my favs and I have

Lamanchas
Nigerian Dwarf
Nubian
Alpine
Mini Nub
Mini Lamancha

2nd fav would be Mini Mancha

I love my Nubian but she isn't "normal" she never makes a sound unlike most Nubians. She is very sweet!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
as you can tell I like quiet goats.:hide

you know your question isn't fair.:\

I love all my dairy goats. I feel like someone forced me to pick a favorite child. :(

Just wrong. Now I'm sad. :hit

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have plenty of Nubians and they don't seem any louder than my others....they're goats...they bleat when they're hungry...and they're always hungry!

But so are my pygmies, my nigies and my kinders.. always hungry!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have plenty of Nubians and they don't seem any louder than my others....they're goats...they bleat when they're hungry...and they're always hungry!

But so are my pygmies, my nigies and my kinders.. always hungry!

You are used to noisy.... Lamanchas are QUIET! :plbb
I LOVE RUBY! My QUIET Nubian. :lol:

Honestly- goats are just simply the best... they are great so... get a few different breeds and have some fun!:)

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two mini Nubians, one is quiet, one is extremely vocal. Anytime she sees me, she's screening at me. Sounds like a child throwing a tantrum. Very friendly, though.

Every goat seems to have is own personality.