Tick problem on pigs???

big mami

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We had a 5 month pig down this morning and the vet said probably tick-borne illness. Both pigs were covered in ticks. I put the large dog Frontline on them and the sick one is getting antibiotics. But does that mean I have to treat my pigs for ticks every month like the dog??? Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any other solution? Many thanks.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd burn any nearby brush piles, cut and trim any tall grasses or weeds and get a dozen guineas. Do all of that and you won't have a tick within 100yds of your critters.

I've never had a problem with ticks, guineas are the noisy watchdogs of the bird world but they are good at finding ticks and other bugs.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i agree with m.l. but it doesn't have to be guineas. i let my chickens and ducks free range around my house and goat pens, pig pen etc. and my tick population is almost zero. i almost never find any on the dogs and they go out into the far pasture and woods and have never seen one on the pigs. now if we could find something that could find and eat chiggers......

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh, forgot to say the pigs are not just confined to a small pen but have about 1/2 acre that they graze and root around in too. almost never a tick on the goats and they have 60 acres to roam. much further than the chickens go. altho i have one hen who thinks she is a cattle egret and follows the goats or sheep when they are out but not to far.

Latest posts