To cut or not to cut bull calves and when?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have bottle calves (2wks) and see stories about aggression. When should the boys be separated from "their boys". We raised an older, longhorn hybrid and for some reason(beneficent God likely) he didn't give us any trouble. Suggestions?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
ASAP!! The sooner the better! The younger they get castrated, the less stress it is on them when the deed needs to be done. Just because one older animal didn't give you trouble doesn't mean the next ones won't.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. They are individuals. First calf was no hassle. (Also delicious). Want these boys docile not a young person.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Band or snippety doodah?

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Either or, it's your choice. Some producers prefer banding, others like to cut. A tetanus shot though should be administered then too just as a precaution.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Either or, it's your choice. Some producers prefer banding, others like to cut. A tetanus shot though should be administered then too just as a precaution.
Thank you, didn't think about tetanus. A busy time for me.

Beeman

Just born
Reaction score
If I'm present, I cut them at birth and let the cow lick them clean.

LisaR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had my bull done as soon as he dropped but he is a Jersey and there's no way I was going to keep him intact with him being around my kids, we also de horned him the same day. He was cut and had a tetanus and antibiotic shot, he was upset for a couple days but healed nicely. He's 2 yrs old now and likes to play rough but so far, isn't mean at all.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I think something needs to be done with him playing rough. Rough play can lead to injuries, even if he's not mean about it.