To get a buck or not?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a quick question. I have 4 goats in a pen that is 272ft. Its not perfect square. I cant explain the shape. Lol. But on the outside barriers is 272ft. My shelter is a 10x14. The girls are a nubien/alpine/boer cross. My boys (weathers) are pygmys. Would it be enough room for another goat? Or should I wait awhile? I want to get a young buck to get my girls started having babies. They are 2 and i want babies. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
If you only have one pen, and not a place to separate the buck from the does, then I would vote no. You will need to make a separate place to house him along with at least one other buck/wether.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So even though the girls are bred he cant stay in with them?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on the buck and what you are using your girls for. Some bucks won't leave the girls alone even if they are bred and some are gentlemen. If you are milking you don't want the buck around your does as the odor he gives off can make the milk nasty. I have run mine together up until kidding time but then I separate them.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Not only will some bucks run a doe ragged, they can be a huge pain in the butt when the does kids and then will rebreed her right away which is not good. Additionally, if the kids are female, he will try to breed them as soon as they come into heat which would be far too young and, well, their dad.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--I love my stinky PITA bucks and it is hard to find buck service from a trustworthy source. But it sounds like you may need to do some construction first to make a few other enclosures. A buck pen to start. And a separate kidding pen would be nice. And then we can horribly encourage you to collect goats by the armful. :p

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well poo. Hope hes a good boy. May have to sell him. This is my only option though to get started. I have just started a new job so hopefully he will be good till I can build him a suitable pen. And another weather to stay with him. Lol

Last edited: