Toggenburgs????

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What can anyone tell me about Toggenburgs? Other than the standard Google search info, that is. Taste of milk? Can they be bred to ND's as minis to increase fat content? Sounds like they aren't the most mellow goat, but is that nature or nuture?
(Yeah, I just heard of this breed. They don't seem to be popular so it must be for a reason.)

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked into getting them. In my area, however, they are scarce and importation from cross country would cost me thousands i dont have. Canada's importation laws are also changing which willfurther restrict genetics, so i decided against it. However, i have two girls that are 25% toggenburg and they have incredible bags and milking ability. The herd i originally looked at was wiley, and i couldnt imagine them as a horned breed as they threw their heads a lot. I keep horned and polled goats and dont see that with any of them!

Lady told me their milk has a stronger flavor due to fat content, but everyone says something different about that. I suppose if you had a determoned nd and a willing/desperate doe qho will lay down or stand on the decline of a hill you could breed them, theyre not overly massive. Where theres a hill, theres a way!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the look of the Togg but the milk :sick
Some say it has to do with lines but I am not so sure.
One of the vets in our region breeds and shows Toggs and the wife says their children won't drink it and neither do they. :p
I only know a few people with Toggs and the story is always the same... lots of milk, big udders... nasty milk.

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love the look of the Togg but the milk :sick
Some say it has to do with lines but I am not so sure.
One of the vets in our region breeds and shows Toggs and the wife says their children won't drink it and neither do they. :p
I only know a few people with Toggs and the story is always the same... lots of milk, big udders... nasty milk.

The person I'm talking to about them says her parents raise them as dairy goats. They are only about 3 hours away. When the weather warms up we may take a drive out there and taste for ourselves. At least I'm finding goat people in our area!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Toggs are VERY smart and I love the coloring---but not a lot a meat on them and the milk is disgusting. Having heard the same from so man people, I am not sure of the appeal of this breed. I did like our Togg wether we had just for his personality and he was the smartest thing (got him into trouble of course).

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard Togg milk is bad too, but I have to say I can't understand why/or how the breed would make a difference.

They are very nice looking animals to me.

We know the veterinarians that breed and show here that Southern mentioned very well. They have some of the nicest animals in the country.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard Togg milk is bad too, but I have to say I can't understand why/or how the breed would make a difference.

I know right... but at the same time we know Nigie milk is sweet and creamy and so is our Lamanchas... why? :idunno I don't believe it is all butterfat... even our Nigies milk is a little different from goat to goat.

I would love to have a Togg they are beautiful! Just would be for a pet though... no milk. LOL

This is rather interesting.... gives a general overview of the different goats and their milk.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...hoosing-a-dairy-goat-breed.aspx#axzz30CNoE0AB

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern....How much do you want a Togg? I have a Mini Togg buck that I could be selling. he is not registered (could be I was told) but from good lines. I could get more info on his bloodline. Of course any body else interested could get in touch with me too.