Trying to learn and prepare myself

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have three Nigerian does due the first part of October. Trying to prepare myself as much as I can. I have been reading and taking notes. Preparing a birthing kit. I have rabbits so I know that they will all wait until it is the worse possible time to kid. I also know that all three will kid at one time. Why? Because that is my worst nightmare.
I also know they will like every other animal around here have the kid (s) while my husband is not around in a storm in the middle of the night. Just like the eggs that were suppose to hatch while he was home every single chick waited until he left for 3 weeks to hatch. His cat had kittens the late night/early morning after he returned to work after taking two weeks off.
I have myself prepared for bottle babies. Been reading up on their needs. What to watch out for and what to do in different situations. I have been there for puppies and kittens being born. I have had six children myself so I should be the most prepared person ever. I have read and read and read about helping stuck kids to come out. How to care for them and such after they are born.
One thing I have not read about is if the kid is coming out breech. Being that I had one breech baby myself I know the dangers of a breech birth. But with Nigerians do I even attempt to turn? Or do I just help the kid out in the breech position?I know breech is not ideal for birthing, but I also know how much pain is involved in the attempt to turn a breech. They tried and failed with mine. He came out backside first and has the kiss my backside attitude to this day. I want to be able to keep mom and kids safe.
What are the dangers of a breech birth for goats? The mom? The kid (s)? Pros and cons of turning? I do not have much in the way of hand strength so I am pretty sure I could not turn a breech. I also have my vet on speed dial in case of an emergency I can't handle. I want to be as prepared as I can possibly be before the big day or I should say night.
We are going to build the kidding pens this or next weekend. I have read that 4 ft x 5 ft is the proper size for kidding pens. Is this correct? I know I will probably even with all my preparing and reading still make mistakes. I just really want to avoid as many as I can and want to avoid making deadly mistakes, if I can.

So my questions are as follows:
What are the dangers of a breech birth for goats?
To the mom?
To the kid (s)?
Pros and cons of turning?
What else should I watch out for?
Proper kidding pens size?
Any other things I should know?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are coming straight breach, back legs out just go ahead and pull the back legs and get them out quick. The big danger with this is that the cord will break and they will start to breath with their head still inside the birth canal, and drown. If you are present, and the back legs come out first, this is usually one of the easiest to deal with. Just pull on the legs when she is pushing and try to get them out quickly.

The problem is a rump first breach where the legs are tucked up under them. With that you have to go in and get their legs up and out first. That can be pretty awful. If they are already in the birth canal, you may have to actually push them back in some.

We've never tried to turn one completely.

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My breech son came out rump first. He had his feet by his ears. Can you tell I am a bit nervous about all of this? I want to be as prepared as I can so that I will have less of a chance of a bad ending.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
My breech son came out rump first. He had his feet by his ears. Can you tell I am a bit nervous about all of this? I want to be as prepared as I can so that I will have less of a chance of a bad ending.

Well, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Do you have a vet available in case you run into problems?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rump first with the legs underneath (like your son) is the most difficult.

Sometimes, they will come head first, but will have their front legs underneath them which can make the shoulders too wide for the doe to push out (sometimes, sometimes she can push it out)
You can't pull them by the neck, so you have to get your hand in there and try to get the legs up over their head. Can be tight in there with Nigerians.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The wether in my avatar is Waldo, and when he was born both front legs were folded back and it took me pulling him with all my might while my husband held mom. He was big and it was Trixie's first. I really thought I would pull his head off, but kids are sturdier than you think. You will find that you will do whatever needs to be done. Most of the time outcomes are favorable, but sometimes no matter what heroics you perform there will be losses, and first ones are the most difficult. You sound as though you've prepared well to handle the situation. Good luck with you kidding and be sure to post plenty of pictures!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a good place to look at-
http://www.boergoats.com/clean/articleads.php?art=285

When dealing with a breach we just pull them out quickly. Whenever we had a breach the rear legs were presented first.

Another thing it make sure you suction the kids well with a bulb syringe. If they have a lot of fluid don't be afraid to swing them by the back legs. I do it with most of the kids to make sure all the fluid is OUT. This won't break the kids legs, use one hand to grab the hind legs and the other hand to hold the chest area. Those babies are slippery so be careful not to drop them. After I swing, I suction again as soon as they are back on the ground.

If your doe is having trouble raise her rear end up high to let gravity work and the kids will start to slide back. This can really help.

MOST goats kid without an issue :) But its still great that you are prepared! Try to stay calm and keep the doe calm. Some does will not let me leave them when kidding is close, they take great comfort when someone is with them. We did have a doe who would get real clingy 12hrs before kidding and then when the time comes she would do what she can to get away and kid on her own :rolleyes: brat.

Can't wait to hear how it goes! Make sure you tell us when they kid, and don't forget the pics! I won't have kids till Jan. 2016, I can't wait :D =D Love me some goat kids! :love

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Do you have a vet available in case you run into problems?

I happen to have a fantastic vet. He charges 45 for a farm visit. I did let him and his office know that we have the three due in October and one in November just in case we have a problem and need to call him.

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rump first with the legs underneath (like your son) is the most difficult.

Sometimes, they will come head first, but will have their front legs underneath them which can make the shoulders too wide for the doe to push out (sometimes, sometimes she can push it out)
You can't pull them by the neck, so you have to get your hand in there and try to get the legs up over their head. Can be tight in there with Nigerians.

I've been reading about all that can go wrong and what to do for most things. Just nervous about this as it is my first time with goats. Rabbits are so much easier and less complicated.

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The wether in my avatar is Waldo, and when he was born both front legs were folded back and it took me pulling him with all my might while my husband held mom. He was big and it was Trixie's first. I really thought I would pull his head off, but kids are sturdier than you think. You will find that you will do whatever needs to be done. Most of the time outcomes are favorable, but sometimes no matter what heroics you perform there will be losses, and first ones are the most difficult. You sound as though you've prepared well to handle the situation. Good luck with you kidding and be sure to post plenty of pictures!

I guess it is more first time jitters. Originally my husband was suppose to be home for the month of October so he would be here when they kidded. He changed companies and the chance of a month off went out the window. Doing this solo on my first kidding is not my plan. I keep reading and reading trying to burn the information into my brain.