Vast milk amount differences between two twin Nigerian Dwarf sisters

Brent H

Herd lurker
Reaction score
We are fairly new to Nigerian Dwarfs. We currently own 3. Our second goat just had a kid 2.5 weeks ago and we just sold it yesterday and started milking her.

Our first goat gave us a quart of milk each milking for the first 4+ months. We milked twice a day. Our second goat (the first goat's twin sister) only gives us around 1/2 cup each milking. I'm not sure what we are doing differently. Any suggestions? We have ordered a product called Mo Milk from Molly's herbals to see if that will help.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Glad you decided to join us. We have a lot of great goat folks active here and I'll tag some who are intimately familiar with the Nigies. @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @OneFineAcre <---all Nigie pros. There are others as well, don't mean to leave anyone out... Browse around :caf and jump in when you have the desire. We're all pic addicts here so if you can share some of your animals, we'll be appreciative!

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do a cup of warm water with 2 TBS of molasses and a dash of cinnamon. It has uped there milk production by a cup of two each milking.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the protein on the feed? What kind of feedback do you get? Welcome to byh:)

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My nigerian Dwarf first freshener only gives about a cup of milk twice a day. He production is increasing gradually. My other does are dry. We feed a mixture of sweet grain, barley, BOSS, and alfalfa. I've been considering adding beet pulp. My friend, who is helping me with my goats, told me that it stimulates their thirst and helps them consume more water which helps milk production.

(As a side note, my feed also includes oats which I'm told are good for lactating goats. The feed mix is a blend of different ratios recommended by the breeder from whom I purchased my little herd.)

They also get a high quality free choice mineral mixed with a little kelp.

I'm also interested in ways to increase her production although she produces enough for two people to eat cereal in the mornings. YUM, goat milk is so awesome GOOD!

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We do a cup of warm water with 2 TBS of molasses and a dash of cinnamon. It has uped there milk production by a cup of two each milking.

Do you give this mixture before each milking, during, twice a day or once a day? Has is caused any diarrhea? Molasses has a tendency to make them a little loose.

Reactions: TAH

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

First, although the goats are related try to separate that. look at each goat individually.
Second, never base anything off of a first freshener.
Third, there are many variables here that could be affecting production.

The following are generalities.

Goats that produce singles as ff usually have lower production. Their udders grow and produce according to what their body knows it needs.

Goats that have a parasitic bloom will have lower production. Parasitic bloom after kidding is very likely.
The parasites draw so much and the goat just cannot put the energy into production.

Inadequate feed- 16% or higher protein is necessary for production. Alfalfa hay, Chaffhaye etc are all good for production along with a good dairy goat feed. Prekidding amount of feed will not be sufficient, increasing feed will help.

For a Nigie with a single it would have been better to start milking from day one. This would increase production.

At this point milking 3x day may increase and then you could back off to 2x day.

Some goats turn feed into milk, some goats turn feed into fat.

If by third freshening she either just has poor production, or turns feed into body fat then she is not going to be an ideal milker. I call those soap goats.;)

We had sisters years ago one with a capacious udder, long teats, good production, great feed conversion- negatives- poor attachment, inadequate duration. She milked a lot of milk for about 5 months then she would tank. She was sold as a soap goat with full disclosure of her production pro's/cons.
The sister- great udder, great attachement, rich creamy milk
Negatives- small teats, feed turned to FAT! :lol:

Molasses in water in itself does not increase production. Goats that like molasses will drink more water which affects production. The down side to that is molasses given daily affects /interferes with minerals/vitamins the goats need. Ultimately sugars rob them of nutrition they need.

Molasses is best left for times of needing a boost, such as long labor, right after kidding etc.

LOL Our goats were not raised on junk food/molasses so they hate it. If we give it during labor and they will take it that means they REALLY need the boost. ;)

If your doe doesn't end up increasing I would dry her off and rebreed her and see how she does as a 2nd freshener.

My friend's goat gave around 2 cups a day (1x day milking) as ff, as 2nd f she didn't do much better... she was going to sell her but she loved her and was really torn... 3rd freshening came and the goat ended up giving 1 1/2 qts ! :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do it twice a day. It has never caused any loose stool.