Want to breed goat

Abby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i have a Nigerian Dwarf goat that I want to breed, but I don't know how I can do that, like where I can look for bucks. I don't want to buy a buck, just use someone else's for stud.
Any ideas?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

It might be hard to find because people who keep their own bucks don't often lease them out due to the risks involved. If you do find one who is willing, they may require you to have your goats tested for certain diseases and what not (I do--my policies for buck service are pretty strict).

Where to look: First, you might cruise Craigslist. I don't know if you will find anyone actually offering service, but you might get some leads and contacts that way. Second, on Facebook there are tons of Nigerian dwarf groups you can join to find people near you. Third, you might call you local 4H group to get put in touch with a few people that have your breed.

Be picky in choosing a buck too. You want one who is either Nigerian or if you don' mind crossing breeds, a pygmy--nothing else because larger breeds will cause labor problems when little goat tries to birth big baby. And external parasites, diseases, and illness can be passed to your doe---be detailed in checking what you are leasing.

Abby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I looked for some breeders on Craigslist, but there weren't any I could go with.
And the place I got them from was from a petting zoo I worked at, so no bucks.
I then looked into some breeders closest to me, but the nearest one is a 2hr drive!!
I'm gonna talk to a few people/breeders, but that's for the ideas to get me started!!

Abby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Scottsdale, AZ

Latest posts