Warning This Is Graphic. Rabbit Needs Help.

Striker911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I noticed this last night for the first time and went to the farm store but could not get any help. What I mean is that they did not have any meds or help otherwise.

First I need to know what the heck this is? First thought is mites but its only one ear. Its building something up in the ear, and also eating the flesh. I assume the build up is excrement from whats eating the ear. The other ear is perfectly fine, and the rabbit is healthy otherwise. Please help. I dont know what to do and we can not afford a vet ATM. The only thing I could think of was peroxide but I doubt that is helping at all. The bubbles are from the peroxide.

Striker911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for so many post's. I am just shook up and full of panic. Even if I have to put this thing down, I would still like to know what it is so I can try to prevent it in the future. Also I guess if I do put it down, it has to be a total loss, or could I just process and BBQ like normal?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take a deep breath. It's going to be ok. Your rabbit has a bad case of ear mites. Although it's been years since I had rabbits, some things you just don't forget. You can clear this up with some mineral oil. It will take several applications. Squirt about a tablespoon in the ear. Your rabbit won't like it, but it's for the good. Massage it in. Do this every 3rd day, the crud will start to slough off. Don't scrape it off, let it come off on it's own. As you get more and more of the crud off, get the mineral oil down in the ear and gently massage it in. While you are at it, put mineral oil in the other ear too. I used to put mineral oil in my rabbits ears on a monthly maintenance program.
Good luck with your rabbit, let us know how it does.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
yep psoroptes.

Baymule is right on. For this bad of a case I might check with others and use ivermectin. I don't have rabbits so not sure what is safe. For a goat I would do topical pyrethrins don't think you can use it on rabbits though.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, or you can use veggie oil. The first rabbit I ever had, had a nasty case of them. We actually put the oil in his ears twice a day. Within a few days, chunks of it started coming out. When that happened, we started rubbing in aloe vera along with the oil to soothe the itching/irritation.

Striker911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
All I had here was some extra virgin olive oil, so I used that. It took about 20ML just to make it seem wet for a few seconds. Will probably do it more often than every three days though. Probably once a day till the junk starts falling off.