Wether problems?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Ollie, my wether I purchased as a companion for my little doeling Tilda has been an absolute JERK. :hideHe is starting to grow his horns back after being disbudded and I am unsure if they are horns or scurs, I have never seen scurs or horns as they were growing in, but he has some pretty nice little nubs coming in, his dad grew his HORNS back after being disbudded and then having them removed a second time as well is it genetic?

Anyways, Tilda is the sweetest thing and so loving and wants to spend all of her time with you where Ollie is just coming into his own and being HORRIBLE.:he He is throwing himself at the fence, bellering and kicking over the smallest things. He is now starting to head butt Tilda and knock her down. He was born 2/27 and she was born 3/3 of this year. He is now trying his hand at head butting EVERYTHING including the dogs and, as of last night, myself. :rant

My main question is this,
Is it normal???? He's just been an absolute pill the past week and it is getting worse, even with me getting more and more strict with him. I have a feeling he took over the roll as Herd Queen:eek:... is that even possible? :idunno

He has also been teaching Miss Tilda it is ok to run head first into the Fence and she has cut just under her eye due to it:barnie along with him getting caught in it with his legs all the time. He will back up and take a running go at it and just scream, buck and kick when he fails to bust through. Don't even get me started on how he tries to shove me down from the back side.... :smack

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the issues, not much help as we are new to goats. Can you carry a spray bottle of water with and soak him when he is being a jerk to you?

@Southern by choice, @OneFineAcre, @Pearce Pastures any suggestions!

I could try that, he HATES getting wet! Unless he is dragging their water pail around so Tilda can't drink from it. Yesterday was sort of the last straw (already) when he flat out refused to come and I had to drag/carry him while he was acting as if I was tearing him apart alive. I have bruises and am sore from his kicking, butting and so on. All over one raspberry bush.... :somad He has steadily been escalating since about day 3 of being home. We are not even at 2 weeks yet... I have been told he will only get worse....

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds really unusual, all the wethers I've had have been like sweet puppydogs, occasionally jumping up but pretty much harmless. No chance that he's retained the testes? Maybe he's just got an attitude, but I've never had much luck turning attitudes around.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
wow, our wether, who is only about a week older than yours is very sweet and loves to be loved on. Did the people you got him from wether him....is it possible they missed one? Was he a bottle baby?

too bad you don't have some older does that would teach him some manners! I know our does keep the young ones in their place.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
he was still banded when I got him, they hadn't fully shriveled up and fallen off yet. That just happened the other day. Could they have wethered him too late? He is not being mean, just a snot and absolute DIVA over everything. He is loving... when he wants something. But oh boy! Hell hath no furry like Ollie when he does not get his way. You would think he was a toddler kicking and screaming... I have had texts from the neighbors asking if everything was ok. :gigI am only allowed TWO goats, says hubby, so we have both decided it best Ollie go and we bring in another doeling.... He was not bottle fed but he may as well have been. He was one of 4 babies and extremely social and loving with people. It is more his attitude and tantrums that are getting to be too much and I have no idea how to curb or stop them.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
He wasn't wethered too late.

First, I would cut down his scurs are reburn them as a figure 8. Having scurs is not likely genetic, though the size of base of the horn could be---the trouble is that whoever did the disbudding did not get all of it burned. Since he is still young, I would redo it.

I would check to see if there is any testicular tissue left , just palpitating a bit. Not that I am sure what you would feel but it is a start.

He could just be having a ******* phase :p

Do not give in a let him butt you, bite you, and any of that nonsense. If he does it to the other goats, they will work it out eventually. But if he does it to you, that is a habit to nip now. Spray him with water, tell him NO in your loudest voice, put him in time-out (seriously--alone, by himself somewhere for 5 or 10 minutes). If you have to, thump in the shoulder with your knee hard to let him know YOU are boss.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I hope you are right! I went through some pretty rough phases with our great pyrenees, collie and saint pyrenees as well as rabbits but NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING like Ollie.... :somad He has a way of really getting under your skin... Just a ramie little cus! :he

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Turns out that Little turd bucket Ollie is starting to settle out and listen FINALLY :celebrate He has been an absolute lovebug lately... Maybe because he knows mom put a down payment on another doeling to take his place? :idunno I don't know... but NOW hubby is talking the chance of keeping him... with being sooo new to goats I don't know if I COULD handle another teenager on top of these two... I only have two hands! :barnie Oh well. Sounds like he doesn't want 3 goats anyways but we will see how it goes.... Can't sell him until she is home for Tilda anyways... Sigh.