Wethers or Does to start?

Ellen

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
We live in CT with our 2 daughters (8 & 5). We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens, a snake, a rabbit and a fish. We are very interested in getting 2-3 Nigerian Dwarf goats. We want them now for pets and perhaps someday, as long as we love the commitment, we would want to raise them for milk.

I have been told by various people to start with wethers and others tell me to start with does. I realize that we would need a doe for milk and if we started with wethers,we could always add a doe or 2 should we decide to go that route.

What are your opinions to someone just starting out with goats?
Thanks!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Either one will give you the experience needed to decide if this is a commitment you wish to stick with. That being said, a doe is easier to resale should you decide this is not for you. Usually the opposite is the problem (lol). You decide you want more and then some more. The main advice I can give is to read, read and read. Everything you can get your hands on. Try to have everything already in place. I personally would go with the gals.

Melanie

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have both wethers and does. I started with wethers and later purchased does for milk. I ended up selling the wethers to make room for more does that my goats kidded. I would say it would have been easier to start with a doeling because I would have had a doe if I decided to start milking. I do not think one is harder to take care of then the other. Does do get a little loud when they are in heat. I think maybe a doeling and a wether would be a good start since you have to have at least 2 goats. Then if you decide later you want to start milking all you have to do is breed your doe.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome and I agree, either just does or a doe (or 2) and wether would make a great starting point regardless of what you decide later :thumbsup

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm voting for a couple of does. it cost the same to keep an unbred doe as it does to keep a wether. you can just keep them unbred until you decide if you want to milk or not. if not then selling them will be easier than wethers, if yes then you just breed them and have milk and babies but you need to be aware that goats are rather addictive and sort of like those potato chips you can't just have 1 or 2. let us know how things go.

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
We live in CT with our 2 daughters (8 & 5). We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens, a snake, a rabbit and a fish. We are very interested in getting 2-3 Nigerian Dwarf goats. We want them now for pets and perhaps someday, as long as we love the commitment, we would want to raise them for milk.

I have been told by various people to start with wethers and others tell me to start with does. I realize that we would need a doe for milk and if we started with wethers,we could always add a doe or 2 should we decide to go that route.

What are your opinions to someone just starting out with goats?
Thanks!
:welcome

Ellen

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions and input. I've been looking online for available Nigerian dwarfs in my area and I'm finding everything from 3 year old backyard pet wethers for $50 to $225 yearling does that are registered, up to date on CDT, dewormed, hooves trimmed and dehorned.

There seems to be quite a range. Not knowing if I will pursue breeding and milking, would you recommend investing in the registered, well-bred does? Would I later regret adopting a backyard pet?

My husband hasn't agreed to much of a budget to start this new adventure but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Thanks again!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend investing in registered or register able goats. I happened to fall upon two Dwarf Nigerian does that can be registered, but are not. I have all the paper work showing their lines and they both were registered with the DGA and one also was registered with the ADGA.I have that paper work. I got them both for $100.00. I do not currently milk, but giving thought for next year. Just for my family. They threw me some beautiful 1/2 Dwarf Nigerian 1/2 Pygmy babies this past late spring. Then again I also have two non register able Dwarf Nigerian does who are great milk producers as well.

The thought here is: If you want them for milk production to sale, you want to be sure you have a line from great quality milk producers.
keep looking. If your lucky you'll get what your looking for with out dishing out to much right away. $225.00 and up for registered great quality milk produces.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend investing in registered or register able goats. I happened to fall upon two Dwarf Nigerian does that can be registered, but are not(6yrs & 4yrs). I have all the paper work showing their lines and they both were registered with the DGA and one also was registered with the ADGA.I have that paper work. I got them both for $100.00. I do not currently milk, but giving thought for next year. Just for my family. They threw me some beautiful 1/2 Dwarf Nigerian 1/2 Pygmy babies this past late spring. Then again I also have two non register able Dwarf Nigerian does who are great milk producers as well.

The thought here is: If you want them for milk production to sell, you want to be sure you have a line from great quality milk producers.
Keep looking. If your lucky you'll get what your looking for with out dishing out to much right away. $225.00 and up for registered great quality milk produces.