What is better Marrams or grat pyrmaed?

EmilyVioletElithabeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm planing on getting an LGD for my farm. I have narrowed it down to these two breeds (marrama or great pyrenees ) but I would like to know what they are like from someone who has owned then and not some web site.

I have 26 goats, 30 chickens that run around the farm with no fences and 3 cats. She also has to be good with my children. I have a 3 year old, a 5 your old and one on the way.

I have a German shepherd Australian shepherd mix dog at the moment. she is a good gard dog but let’s raccoons and skunks in the farm. She is also very scard of thunder and gun sound. if she hares it all she wants to do is get inside and who cares about the goats when there’s a thunder storm going on, that’s what she thinks during that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mmmmm ... well that is very subjective. :D
I can say with the number of trouble calls and issues by breed the Maremma has a higher percentage of difficulty in training.
Keep in mind that is by percentage. There are many more Great Pyrenees than Maremmas so obviously more calls but Maremma's and Maremma crosses take the cake.

Ask someone that has Maremmas and they will say maremmas, ask someone with Great Pyrenees and they will say Pyrenees, Anatolians the same... and on and on.

I like larger LGD's personally and LGD's that are less "primitive".
We have Anatolian Shepherds, Great Pyrenees, and Anatolian/Pyr's. All 3 are different. We have 5 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians, and purposely bred (waited 3 years for this litter) of Anatolian Pyr Pups (9 months). We are retaining one, so will have him when we move... 2 staying til completely trained and one other under contract as started. I love all 3 "breeds" , but they are all different.

Keep in mind that you will need to work with your LGD. Especially for poultry.
YOU MUST HAVE A FENCE. PERIOD.
It might be a good idea to go into the LGD section and read many articles, posts, threads about these dogs. They are very different.

Do you have the time to raise a LGD?
How much land are you on?
Predator threat etc.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 2 Maremma's - brother and sister from the same litter. I must say, we adore our LGDs, and they are doing a good job guarding our goats. But, I'm not sure what I was thinking, getting brother/sister. I'm also disappointed that the breeder let us do that. Our female, Violet, is due to come into heat, and we are having to be extra vigilant to prevent her from becoming pregnant.

This is our first experience with LGDs, so I'm by no means an expert. In my opinion, Southern is about as good as they get for advise on LGDs.

That being said, there are a lot of Pyr's here in Texas. Not knowing much about LGDs, and not knowing anyone (at the time) that I could ask for advise, I researched both breeds, and 2 things stood out, and I have, personally, had some Pyr owners confirm them.

Southern, please feel free to jump in, if I am wrong - this is based on what I read. Anyway, my reading told me that Pyr's bark a LOT, as a way of warning off predators. Maremma's tend to only bark when they sense a nearby threat. That seems to be true of our two.

The other issue I read about, is that Pyr's tend to like to get out and wander. Here, in Texas, we have seen Pyr's running along roadsides and heard about them getting out and getting hit by cars on the road.

Our Vet had a Pyr show up by his barn, and ended up keeping her, because she seemed to want to stay and guard his Spanish Meat goats. He used to lose several goats a year, to Coyotes, and hasn't lost one since he decided to keep the stray Pyr.

Our 2 have never tried to get out, but after taking them out on leash, we realized they only wanted to be with their goats, so if we move the goats, they go on leashes and we just let the dogs run along with us. The just run ahead and make sure their goats get there safely.

If I understood correctly, it sounded like you are planning to get only one LGD? I'm not sure what your predator load is, locally. But, if you have Coyotes, foxes or wolves, they run in packs and if you only have one dog, they will have part of the pack distract the dog, while the remainder of the pack will start picking off your herd, one by one. If you have two, one checks out the commotion, while the other stays with the herd.

We have seen our 2 in action practicing this. Violet will be barking in the direction of a perceived threat, while Deo herds all the goats into the goat shed. Its kind of fun to watch.

I can verify what Southern said about needing a fence between the dogs and chickens. At almost one year, Violet still thinks chickens are squeaky toys. We have lost a few, that went over the 4' fence, and are renewing our efforts to train her to leave the birds alone. We recently increased the dividing fence to 6 feet, so hopefully won't have any more episodes of fatal stupidity. We are hoping that as she gets older and matures, she will lose interest in chasing chickens.

Last edited:

EmilyVioletElithabeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Mmmmm ... well that is very subjective. :D
I can say with the number of trouble calls and issues by breed the Maremma has a higher percentage of difficulty in training.
Keep in mind that is by percentage. There are many more Great Pyrenees than Maremmas so obviously more calls but Maremma's and Maremma crosses take the cake.

Ask someone that has Maremmas and they will say maremmas, ask someone with Great Pyrenees and they will say Pyrenees, Anatolians the same... and on and on.

I like larger LGD's personally and LGD's that are less "primitive".
We have Anatolian Shepherds, Great Pyrenees, and Anatolian/Pyr's. All 3 are different. We have 5 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians, and purposely bred (waited 3 years for this litter) of Anatolian Pyr Pups (9 months). We are retaining one, so will have him when we move... 2 staying til completely trained and one other under contract as started. I love all 3 "breeds" , but they are all different.

Keep in mind that you will need to work with your LGD. Especially for poultry.
YOU MUST HAVE A FENCE. PERIOD.
It might be a good idea to go into the LGD section and read many articles, posts, threads about these dogs. They are very different.

Do you have the time to raise a LGD?
How much land are you on?
Predator threat etc.
I have 18 acres of land that my goats can go on and we have a large filled around us as well, but because I don’t have something to protect them when there way out there I have them in a small pastor that is close to the house, it's maby 6 acres. I live at home so I'd be able to be with the pup and train it. My ness who is 17 lives with me, she's great with dogs and would be doing some training when I'm not. She knows there not like a germen shepherd and they need to be trained differently.

We only have problems with racoons and skunks at the moment.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't say much about which breed is better, but I will say I'm raising a mix of all three breeds right now to guard poultry and doing so without a fence between the dog and chickens. It's working out wonderfully so far and the pup only needed two verbal corrections to get the picture, so now ignores the chickens. We'll have to see if that changes as he ages into a more mature, prey driven dog...he's still very young.

Also had a GP/lab mix female that worked with my poultry and never once offered to harm them...but guarded them very well.

As for perimeter fencing or some kind of containment for the dog itself, I'd definitely have a way of confining them to the property or work area. GPs like to go walkabout. I kept mine at home with a wireless electric system and still do to this day.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, our poultry is with the goats and dogs... I was referring to the overall land. Fencing is important.

@Beekissed - No way on Gods green earth would an invisible fence system work for any of my dogs. If the coyotes come close they would go right through it. Heck they broke a steel fencepost to get to something and ripped a hole in the fence. What system do you use? I have never seen one really work well for large dogs.

The barking varies, not so much by breed but more by individual.
Although it does seem a common complaint.
My Anatolians needed work in this area.
My pyrs, bark when there is something. So not barky at all.

Pyrs do roam more and Toli's stay put generally.

Marremas seem to be like all others... some are great with staying put some aren't. Some never adjust to poultry and some are great.
Much depends on the dog and then training.

Some of our dogs never even looked at poultry funny, others... :somad
But ALL get trained out of poultry issues.

The biggest thing I see with the Maremmas is many that were breeding them have stopped. I was consulted awhile ago and tried to find a Maremma for a lady that had always had Maremmas... the breeders I knew of all discontinued. Don't know why.:hu

In your case you may be better off with a farmdog. It doesn't seem like you really have a predator issue.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i have had 1 Pyrenees who spent her time traveling around a 5 mile area and i spent my time looking for her. no i didn't have great fencing. it was good enough to keep the goats in but not the dog. for several years i had Anatolians and loved them. in pairs one would watch and one would patrol but they had each others back at all times. i really like Anatolians but fate brought a Maremma into my life and i love that she stays right close to the goats and sheep all the time. i have 60 acres of which probably 45 is brush and woods. if the dog is off checking the fence line it is not there to protect the herd and a lot can happen in the few minutes it would take them to get back.
and as far as poultry goes every LGD i have had has gone thru a teenage phase where the birds were fun to play with. consistent, consistent training is necessary. Katie is two now and has finally stopped playing with them at about 18 months. jasper, my last 'toil loved to pick them up by the tail feathers and run with them. he would just play them to death and never knew why they quit squawking. he was also over 18 months old before i convinced him they weren't toys.
having said all that please be aware that having and training a LGD is not easy. you have to have a stronger personality then they do and they do have strong ideas about what they should and shouldn't do. i agree with Southern by choice, if your biggest problems are raccoons, skunks and the like a farm collie may be more of what you need. they protect their family and everything that belongs to their family. I've thought about getting one myself.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern, I use a Petsafe wireless system and it works amazingly well. As for going through it, the same will happen for any manner of fencing if the provocation is enough...haven't seen any type of perimeter fencing that will keep a determined dog in if they really want to get past it.

My GP mix never offered to cross that boundary...she was a big sissy about pain...and she never had it set beyond "training mode". :rolleyes: My Lab/BC mix will cross it when needed~to snatch a pred right outside the boundary~ but returns to it immediately and will stay inside that boundary even when his battery is dead or the power is out for days at a time. His has also always been set on "training mode" level.

This new pup? He's already on level 4, with only two levels more to go if it has to be increased. Don't know why he doesn't feel it as much as my other dogs...with the other levels he would just shake his head or scratch at his neck like a flea bit him. :\

It's pretty much about conditioning, with the shock being more of a deterrent than a physical fence as it provides a negative reinforcement for crossing the boundary, whereas a physical fence does not unless it too has an electric component.

The best thing about this system is, if they do get outside the boundary, it doesn't shock them if they try to come back in. The wired in-ground systems shock a dog if he tries to come or go, so if they run past the border as they are intent on a predator, they couldn't ever get back in...being less intent and less inclined to ignore the pain upon re-entry.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed glad it works for you, it is always nice to hear a success story with these systems. :)
The biggest thing IMO is it doesn't keep anything out and that is always an issue. The next town over from us is having serious coyote issues. They are moving in packs to take larger livestock. Fencing doesn't just keep the livestock and dogs in but certainly is the first line of defense when the threats do come. So bad that the coyotes are coming into the town center.

My neighbor has lost two dogs from coyotes. One dog ran and of course went right through their fence-less system... she didn't make it. :hitBoth times the dogs were snatched right off the porch. Their Rottie did nothing. :\

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dogs *might* stay behind a wireless fence but like Southern said, it doesn't keep anything out. That would scare me to death...I like my 4' high no climb fence with hotwire on the top.