What is proper feed for Nigerian Dwarf goats

Farm_gurl

Just born
Reaction score
I have Nigerian Dwarf Wether:

Ok when we first got of boys(wethers)... we were told no alfalfa...small amount of grain and grass hay/oat

then last week someone told us they lost their boys(wethers) due to them being fed grain......

I am so lost now. We only have one wether now the other got killed :( ...my boy(wether) is just a pet.....no breeding....just part of the family. I dont want to hurt him or lose him due to feeding wrong. I seem to find feeding for dairy or breeding goats but not for wethers..HELP please...and any help is welcome!

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The general concensus that I hear is a small amount of feed is fine, but better to use one that is not a sweet feed and that also has ammonium chloride (I think that's right) to help prevent urinary stones (that's what usually kills them).

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The rules:

If you feed grain - do not feed grass hay. Use alfalfa hay.

If you don't feed grain, grass hay is fine.

Never feed sweet feed, only use a pelleted goat feed containing ammonium chloride (such as ADM's Meat Goat formulas).

Use a loose goat mineral, preferably one that also contains AC, such as the one made by Manna Pro and sold in 5 lb bags.

Despite what you've been told, alfalfa is the perfect standalone diet for wethers. Once they're done growing (I recommend a small amt of goat feed for growing wethers) all they should need is alfalfa hay to stay fat and happy.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We feed alfalfa hay only. We add the ammonium chloride to the loose Golden Blend mineral salt.

You might want to find him another wether buddy also.

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
helmstead said:
The rules:

If you feed grain - do not feed grass hay. Use alfalfa hay.

If you don't feed grain, grass hay is fine.
What is the rationale behind that? I've never heard that before and it seems to me that since alfalfa and grain can both cause problems it wouldn't make any sense to feed them together. :idunno

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kate can get into the details, but I know it has something to do with the calcium/phosphorous ratios.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Alfalfa is the perfect feed for wethers...it won't cause problems. That's an old wives tale.

StudMuffinNigis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack but If you have wethers in with does, what hay should you use for all? Alfalfa?
Also, for growing kids, from weaning until introduced to a herd including wethers, what type of hay? Thanks

Farm_gurl

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...

i did cut the sweet feed out of his diet 100% he was lost weight not that he was fat. I just dont want him to thin.

as far as a buddy goes, yes i agree we knew when we lost his brother we needed to get a new buddy, I have a call into the breeder we got him from, if his mom has a boy in the spring we will buy him. but for now his new best friend his my daughters Mustang..... i just cant leave him with him because he eats his main :(

I would love for him to be able to have some grain....he was so sad when i took it away. I will look for the pelleted goat feed containing ammonium chloride. how much a day for this can they have?