What is proper feed for Nigerian Dwarf goats

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
StufMuffinNigis said:
Not trying to hijack but If you have wethers in with does, what hay should you use for all? Alfalfa?
Also, for growing kids, from weaning until introduced to a herd including wethers, what type of hay? Thanks
We feed alfalfa hay to everyone without any problems.

jlbpooh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have 4 Nigerian Dwarf wethers. They get all the local grass hay and pasture that they want. They also get free choice Manna Pro Goat minerals. When the really cold weather hit, the two younger ones started losing condition, so I started giving them 1/2 cup of Calf Manna once a day. It has the Ammonia Chloride (as do the minerals), plus the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio is 2:1 as seems to be recommended. That half cup a day really makes a difference with them. The Calf Manna is highly concentrated so a little seems to go a long way with this small breed goats. They like the bite-size apple flavored horse treats from Tractor Supply too, I use those very sparingly though. Basically only after hoof trimming or to catch the occasional escapee. I give no other treats or supplements and they seem to be thriving.

Barbgarmo

Just born
Reaction score
Did you know that Fresh Fruit is the same as AC? Buy it in the canning dept. at the grocery store.

If there is a problem with one of yor buck's urinary track. Take a slice of bread, spread any jelly on it, (that they like of course) and add a good amount of Fresh Fruit, then fold in half. Maybe a tablespoon every day for a week.

I called Hoggers 2 yrs ago with a sick goat. They told me what to do. Sure fixed my boys.
Now I buy the Noble feed with the AC in it.