What is the Best Milking Animal?

Reaction score
I am starting my research on mini goats (I'm not opposed to full-size though) and mini cows (don't want full-size cows). My interest in these creatures in mainly milking them, but they will also be loved as family pets.

I hear pros and cons on both animals. I don't want to breed the animals more than once unless absolutely necessary to get milk. I don't want escape artists, and I don't want really stinky animals. I want an animal(s) that is friendly and at least somewhat social.

I have 2.5 acres, so I'm only looking at one or two of either of these animals at this point (not a big herd). I have two medium-sized dogs, and I already have poultry. I want to make sure there are no issues with either cows or goats and my current flock and pack (the dogs have an acre of fenced land and the chickens have a coop and fenced run). I have a mostly enclosed shelter/overhang that is on the outside wall of my chicken coop that I plan on using as a shelter for either a cow(s) or goat(s). I also have two teenagers, one of which has special needs (nothing too severe), so I prefer to have an animal(s) that is sociable and is not rough.

I'm not an animal novice. I have enough experience (and I'm the kind of person that does all my research before I get an animal that I'm not familiar with) to be a wise cow or goat owner.

What input/suggestions do you have?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on how much milk you need.
You will likely have to breed more than once.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

I will try to answer in the order of your posting and then give some food for thought...

I hear pros and cons on both animals. I don't want to breed the animals more than once unless absolutely necessary to get milk.
You will need to breed them more than once. Breeding a goat or a cow once will not give you milk indefinitely. Generally it is a once a year thing... a really good dairy goat with a capricious udder may give you 2 years... no guarantees and much depends on your feed regimen and your original stock.

I don't want escape artists, and I don't want really stinky animals
Any goat or cow can be an escape artist but generally good fencing is the best way to go. We have 30+ goats and no escape artists.
Goats have "berry" poop- not smelly and easy to clean. Udders stay clean. Cows have patties- whole different poop.

I want an animal(s) that is friendly and at least somewhat social.
I only have goats and cannot speak for a mini-cow but goats are a lot like dogs. Of course that depends on how the breeder rears their goats. Some goats you can't get your hands on, some in your lap. Wide range there. Bottle fed goats will be more likely to see YOU as their herd.

so I'm only looking at one or two of either of these animals at this point (not a big herd).
Again... do not know about mini-cows but goats- you must have a minimum of 2. They are herd animals and do not do well alone.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Finding a mini cow to breed or do AI with may be very difficult. This is something I would seriously take into consideration. I have heard that calving complications are more typical in mini cows but with no experience that could just be a "myth".

Gestation is longer for cows than goats.

Goats are bred quite easily but if you do not want a buck you will need to make sure you have a breeder or someone willing to lease or breed.

I am not sure how much land you would need for a mini cow but an acre for 2 goats would be fine. As far as your dogs... truth is pet dogs kill goats. The only dogs that should be in with goats is a Livestock guardian dog. Pets dogs are not compatible.

I would be looking at how much milk you need?
This will help you determine breed type.

There are Dwarf breeds, Miniature Breeds, and Standard Breeds.
The quality of the animal will be a big factor in the amount of milk.
Dwarfs- have highest butterfat but lowest volume anywhere from <1 qt per day all the way to 2qts per day. The average Nigie is not giving 2 qts per day for 10 months.
Miniatures- anywhere from 2.5 qts - 1gallon day lower butterfat than Nigies but because their foundation includes the Nigie it is good butterfat
Standards- minimum of 1 gallon all the way up to 2 gallons a day. Butterfat varies between breeds.

Dwarfs and mini's are easier on the land... eat less and produce well. Great feed conversion.

There are some breeds of goats that have horrible tasting milk.
Milk flavor can also be influenced by diet.

Reaction score
Depends on how much milk you need.
You will likely have to breed more than once.
Probably a gallon a week would suffice. More would be nice, but not necessary. I have family that I can share the milk with.

Thank you "Southern by Choice". You gave me some great information.

For the record, the dogs would not be in the area with the goats or cows, so I have no worries about injuries or deaths. I just don't want an issues with interactions through a fence or anything (like one of the animals getting sick from exposure to another).

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could get an average - to low end Nigerian Dwarf and get that amount. Feed conversion is the best!
A Miniature dairy goat or standard dairy goat would be way more milk than you'd need. I imagine a mini cow would be putting out several gallons a day.

Remember you do have to milk everyday, whether you need the milk or not.

Goats are fun but I warn you - they are addictive...
we all started with just 2. :lol:

Reaction score
One of the breeds I was actually considering was Nigerian Dwarf. I've been able to handle my chicken addiction "pretty well" so far, so hopefully I could handle a goat addiction too. LOL

I'm not opposed to the breeding idea, but it isn't something I'm thrilled with unless I can find the desire for people to purchase goats in my area. And if I did decide to have enough of a herd to keep breeding (and completely avoid incestual breeding (is that the correct term?)), then I'd need to consider a separate area for bucks during non-breeding times.

I definitely did keep in mind about daily (and sometimes twice a day) milkings. That's where I'd need help from the family in sharing in the farm chores. :thumbsup

It sounds like you are partial to Nigerian Dwarfs, Southern by Choice. What is their weather tolerance? I'm in North Central Florida, but the area for the goats would be nicely shaded and I like to give summer treats like ice cubes in water bowls/troughs, etc.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the breeds I was actually considering was Nigerian Dwarf. I've been able to handle my chicken addiction "pretty well" so far, so hopefully I could handle a goat addiction too. LOL

I'm not opposed to the breeding idea, but it isn't something I'm thrilled with unless I can find the desire for people to purchase goats in my area. And if I did decide to have enough of a herd to keep breeding (and completely avoid incestual breeding (is that the correct term?)), then I'd need to consider a separate area for bucks during non-breeding times.

I definitely did keep in mind about daily (and sometimes twice a day) milkings. That's where I'd need help from the family in sharing in the farm chores. :thumbsup

It sounds like you are partial to Nigerian Dwarfs, Southern by Choice. What is their weather tolerance? I'm in North Central Florida, but the area for the goats would be nicely shaded and I like to give summer treats like ice cubes in water bowls/troughs, etc.

Nigerians do fine in Florida. There are a couple of members of this forum with Nigerians in Florida.
I have Nigerians in NC, and we are pretty hot and humid too.

If you only need a gallon of milk per week, a couple could easily meet your needs and then some. You better learn to make cheese and soap.

You do have to breed to have milk. How long they could stay in milk without re-breeding would depend on the animal. I know some people milk through, but I'm not sure with Nigerians what the output would be like after a year because we dry ours off at 8 -9 months.
We have some that are still producing 1.25 - 1.5 quarts per day at 7 months. But, we have the Mtn State Fair in Sept, and then the NC State Fair in late Oct and when we get off the milking routine for a show udder fill in Sept, throws them off and they start to go down.

Key thing is to milk on a regular schedule.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL, no not partial to dwarfs. We have dwarfs, Miniature Lamanchas, Miniature Alpines, Miniature Nubians, Standard Lamanchas, Standard Alpine, Standard Nubian...and Kiko meatgoats.

I LOVE ALL my goats. I think there is a goat for everyone and rather recommend goats based on the needs of someone as opposed to just pushing a breed. There are advantages and disadvantages to each... the Nigie does have some great advantages!

I like dwarfs but personality wise I'd take my Mini's and standards anyday. Dwarfs are small and look so cute especially as babies... they stay relatively small and that is the big draw... but having so many breeds and sizes I get to see a bigger picture and have no complaints about the dwarf but I personally like the Lamancha personality the best, next the Nubian.

We utilize 3-4 gallons per day. We started with Nigies and will always have a few. We opted to keep our best and we focus more on the Miniatures now. Of course I cannot give up my standards as they are truly my baby loves! They all think they're dogs. They give kisses and demand hugs. Out of all the nigies we have had/bred they are nice but none give us kisses or hugs except the bucks. Nigie bucks are my downfall. I adore them.

Told you goats were addictive.;) I love the variety... and each family's needs are different.

The male offspring can be wethered and raised for meat. If you are so inclined.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @citychickinthecountry from the front range in Colorado :frow :welcome! I did a LOT of research to decide between a mini cow like a Dexter or goats. I decided on goats, for a number of reasons...

They are MUCH smaller and need less space. A mini milk cow is still going to run 600+ pounds while you can get small dairy goats like Nigerian Dwarfs with ideal weights around 70 pounds. Even full sized goats top out at less than 1/2 the weight of a small mini cow. They are much less expensive to purchase and maintain. If you want a continuous supply of milk (non-stop, like forever/ongoing), you will need 2 animals so one can be providing the milk while the other is pregnant. Two cows is twice as expensive as one cow :barnie http://www.grameen-info.org/10-miniature-cattle-breeds-for-your-small-farm/

Goats tend to have less problems requiring vet care, and when they do need vet care it's normally less expensive than for dairy cattle. Goat milk seems to cause/have fewer digestive issues for/with humans. Butterfat % is higher in most goats milk than cow milk and that's where the great flavor comes from. Though I love milk and drink up to 1/2 gallon a day, I couldn't handle 3-5 gallons+ a day from 1 mini cow. 1-2 quarts are easier/faster to milk out than 3-5 gallons. Gestation for a cow is 283 days +/- 10 (9.5 months), for a goat it's 150 days +/- 5 (5 months). Kids can be sold/placed easier than a calf because you (people) can keep goats in more places than you (people) can keep cows. Goat poop is pellets that are dry and can be swept/raked up for the most part... Cows make patties that are like piles of wet oatmeal and are a mess. Goats make LESS poop (much less) than a cow. Goats have simpler dietary needs than a cow. Goats will eat weeds and browse woody plants like vines, brush and trees. Cows can't/won't.

Hope it all works out for you whatever you decide! There's lots of info and knowledge here and great people always eager to help! Hope you keep us all informed as you move forward!