What plants are toxic for goats?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
#4 is Elderberry. While it may be listed as toxic, I have it growing everywhere and my goats eat it without problem.

#5 is Pigweed or Amaranth. It's edible to goats and people.

#6 not sure but I have it too and my goats eat without problem.

#7 looks like Sweet Woodruff in bloom. If that's correct then it's fine.

#8 Are you showing the small leafed plant or the large leafed one?

#10 Looks like Deadly Nightshade or Eastern Black Nightshade. It is poisonous. All parts of it. Though I will say that it grows here and my goats have eaten it without problems. I would get rid of as much of it as you can. While my goats have eaten it without problem they have never had access to any real quantity of it.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
#8 I think you are looking at pokeberry/ pokeweed which I hate! We have it all over and I try to kill it only to have it come right back. They are toxic but I need to go check my book for just how potent it is. Here is a link in the meantime if you'd like to check it out and maybe do some other research.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/php/plants.php?action=indiv&byname=common&keynum=64

Okey dokey, I'm back. It has a low rating and it is one that supposedly most animals will not eat unless there is nothing else to munch. However, it does seem like goats are often then exception to that so around here, I will keep on trying to kill it.

http://vet.vet.purdue.edu/toxic/plant40.htm

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you get a better pic (less grainy and of the leaves with no green in the background, pweeeaaseeee, LOL) of #6, cause we have that growing EVERYWHERE in AK, Fireweed. I dont know about the flowers, but its perfectly edible. Take a pic of when it blooms, the flowers look like this-
fireweed.jpg
It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL here when it blooms, cause it is EVERYWHERE, so it looks like theres just pink ,EVERYWHERE. Stunning.

I dont know about ay of the other plants tho :p

Could #3 be huckleberries??

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Miss Heidi said:
#3 is honeysuckle, not sure if it is poisonous to goats.
Oh phew, if its honey Suckle then its not toxic. That means I dont have to rip out three giant bushes! Woot!

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so from what everyone is saying, most of what I have posted seems nontoxic apart from #10 and #8 which I ripped out anyway just to be safe.
# 3 I am very happy to hear is nontoxic, because the bases of these things are the size of pine tree trunks @_@

Thank you guys!!! You were all very very helpful and thank you so so much :D

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I don't think #3 is honeysuckle. If it is I have never seen berries like that on the ones we have around my area.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I have seen that acorns are but I don't believe that for a second!! My goats love them and if you put some in a bowl then they go crazy and have never had an issue at all, so idk why some say it is poisonous.

Jerum

Just born
Reaction score
CochinBrahmaLover=) said:
Can you get a better pic (less grainy and of the leaves with no green in the background, pweeeaaseeee, LOL) of #6, cause we have that growing EVERYWHERE in AK, Fireweed. I dont know about the flowers, but its perfectly edible. Take a pic of when it blooms, the flowers look like this- http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/wbking/Hey Google/fireweed.jpg It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL here when it blooms, cause it is EVERYWHERE, so it looks like theres just pink ,EVERYWHERE. Stunning.

I dont know about ay of the other plants tho :p

Could #3 be huckleberries??
Ahhh, that pic reminds me of the several years I lived in Juneau. Oh how I miss it there..