What should I feed my Nubians?

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I am located in Southern Pennsylvania and have just started building my Nubian Dairy goat herd. We are coming out of the fields and pastures as grass is diminishing and I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me what I should be feeding as far as grain and minerals? They have full access to hay 24/7 but was wondering what they should be getting other than that. I have a Nubian doe bred and in milk - an alpine doe(not bred) - and a Nubian buck. Also a pygmy wether as a pasture friend for the does.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I know that I need to be giving them minerals and I've also heard a baking soda feeder - but I'm not sure which minerals are best. For grain I am feeding Sweet Goat 16%.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Free choice loose minerals labeled for goats. Different people have different brand preferences. I raise sheep and I like the Southern States brand sheep mineral.

Hay -- for goats, about 3% of their body weight in dry matter. So for 90% DM hay, you want to be feeding your goats 3.3% of their body weight in hay. That's for maintenance. Instead of feeding more hay for late gestation and lactation you can add grain to their diet. For sheep as a general rule of thumb you do 1/2 lb per head per day 30 days pre-lambing and 1 lb per lamb they are nursing. Dairy goats are different and maybe some goatherders can help you with grain amounts.

@Roll farms @OneFineAcre @Pearce Pastures @Southern by choice

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to dry your bred doe off by the 3rd month of gestation. We dry ours off by the 2nd month of gestation.

Most would suggest the bred doe who is still in milk is the only one who actually needs feed.

We give all of ours some feed, but not much maybe a cup per day. The milkers get more on the stand.
I don't know that we really feed by weight more just by feel, and since I have miniatures, I don't know that I could offer good advice on standard size goats.

How much are you giving them now?
What is their body condition like now?

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You need to dry your bred doe off by the 3rd month of gestation. We dry ours off by the 2nd month of gestation.

Most would suggest the bred doe who is still in milk is the only one who actually needs feed.

We give all of ours some feed, but not much maybe a cup per day. The milkers get more on the stand.
I don't know that we really feed by weight more just by feel, and since I have miniatures, I don't know that I could offer good advice on standard size goats.

How much are you giving them now?
What is their body condition like now?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions - My doe is supposedly due in March - according to previous owners they usually dry her in December for a March kidding?

Right now I'm not giving my bucks or wether any grain - they are just on hay. However, wouldn't they need a mineral of some sort? I'm terribly worried about kidney stones after reading stuff online.

My milking bred doe whom I am milking is getting about 1 1/2lbs of food on her milking stand and free fed hay.

My other doe who is not bred and not milking I give a cup of food plus hay a day

They are out of pasture due to the fall/winter months approaching. They graze on fallen leaves (non toxic of course) occasionally but that is about all otherwise.

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Free choice loose minerals labeled for goats. Different people have different brand preferences. I raise sheep and I like the Southern States brand sheep mineral.

Hay -- for goats, about 3% of their body weight in dry matter. So for 90% DM hay, you want to be feeding your goats 3.3% of their body weight in hay. That's for maintenance. Instead of feeding more hay for late gestation and lactation you can add grain to their diet. For sheep as a general rule of thumb you do 1/2 lb per head per day 30 days pre-lambing and 1 lb per lamb they are nursing. Dairy goats are different and maybe some goatherders can help you with grain amounts.

@Roll farms @OneFineAcre @Pearce Pastures @Southern by choice

I am feeding Southern States Quality Kid and Goat Feed (16%) - I was debating on Sweetlix 16:8 lose minerals, my feed store's brand of lose minerals for goats, or Manna Pro Lose Minerals. I'm just not sure if one is better than the other.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bucks need minerals too. 2-1 calcium to phosphorus.

We do give our bucks some feed this time of year when they are rutting because they lose so much weight.

If they look well conditioned, then it sounds like you are doing fine.

Free choice, quality grass hay is the key.

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you prefer Sweetlix over Manna Pro? Reason I ask - I can purchase Manna Pro locally, Sweetlix I have to have shipped and it's a freight charge of $25 per bucket. And then like I said my feed mill has their own mix of goat minerals which is even cheaper - $10 for 25lbs, but I'm not sure what it contains, they said it was goat minerals containing copper. How do I determine the 2-1 calcium to phosphorus?
Thank you so much for your help and patience. My family has always farmed - but we never had goats. I of course wanted goats for mine :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our one vet never heard of Manna Pro and recommended Sweetlix. After comparison we opted to stick with Manna Pro- good mineral without the unnecessary shipping. Our other 2 vets have heard of both and have no preference.
They are very similar.

Manna Pro-
Crude ProteinMin4.00%
(This includes not more than 4.0% equivalent crude protein from non-protein nitrogen)
CalciumMin16.00%
CalciumMax19.20%
PhosphorusMin8.00%
SaltMin12.00%
SaltMax14.40%
PotassiumMin1.50%
MagnesiumMin1.50%
CopperMin1350 PPM
ManganeseMin2750 PPM
ZincMin5500 PPM
SeleniumMin12 PPM
Vitamin AMin300,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D3Min30,000 IU/LB
Vitamin EMin400 IU/LB
Lactic Acid BacteriaMin1.5 Million CFU/LB

Sweetlix-

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Calcium, Min14.00%
Calcium, Max16.80%
Phosphorus, Min8.00%
Salt, Min10.00%
Salt, Max12.00%
Magnesium, Min1.50%
Potassium, Min1.50%
Cobalt, Min240 ppm
Copper, Min1,750 ppm
Copper, Max1,810 ppm
Iodine, Min450 ppm
Manganese, Min1.25%
Selenium, Min50 ppm
Zinc, Min1.25%
Vitamin A, Min300,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D-3, Min30,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, Min400 IU/lb

Tiffany L

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our one vet never heard of Manna Pro and recommended Sweetlix. After comparison we opted to stick with Manna Pro- good mineral without the unnecessary shipping. Our other 2 vets have heard of both and have no preference.
They are very similar.

Manna Pro-
Crude ProteinMin4.00%
(This includes not more than 4.0% equivalent crude protein from non-protein nitrogen)
CalciumMin16.00%
CalciumMax19.20%
PhosphorusMin8.00%
SaltMin12.00%
SaltMax14.40%
PotassiumMin1.50%
MagnesiumMin1.50%
CopperMin1350 PPM
ManganeseMin2750 PPM
ZincMin5500 PPM
SeleniumMin12 PPM
Vitamin AMin300,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D3Min30,000 IU/LB
Vitamin EMin400 IU/LB
Lactic Acid BacteriaMin1.5 Million CFU/LB

Sweetlix-

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Calcium, Min14.00%
Calcium, Max16.80%
Phosphorus, Min8.00%
Salt, Min10.00%
Salt, Max12.00%
Magnesium, Min1.50%
Potassium, Min1.50%
Cobalt, Min240 ppm
Copper, Min1,750 ppm
Copper, Max1,810 ppm
Iodine, Min450 ppm
Manganese, Min1.25%
Selenium, Min50 ppm
Zinc, Min1.25%
Vitamin A, Min300,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D-3, Min30,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, Min400 IU/lb

Thank you so much for your input. I am going to check and see if my feed mill has a tag to use to compare to this and if it's the same I'll purchase from them - if it's not - I'll go w/ the Manna Pro. The sweetlix is just too much money for shipping compared to going to the local farm store and buying Manna Pro.