1. BYH Featured Thread: Winter with goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

4. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official BYH Caption Contest #4 - Pic by Pioneer Chicken
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

what should I not feed my pigs?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Pigs' started by sixofus09, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011
    sixofus09

sixofus09 Chillin' with the herd

Title says it all. Just want to know some things I shouldn't feed them. They are 12 weeks old. Duroc whites and Duroc yorks.
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Royd Wood

Royd Wood New Member

Heres 3 I wouldnt feed
    Fish, onions and garlic.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    77Herford

77Herford The Farm Zookeeper

Besides raw meat, I haven't found a food they can't eat. Younger pigs you need to be more careful with.
  4. Nov 20, 2011
    Truscifi

Truscifi Exploring the pasture

Garlic is a natural treatment for intestinal parasites. It is won't hurt them. I have read that you shouldn't feed them avocados, though I don't remember why.
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    MillieMoo

MillieMoo Exploring the pasture

Raw taters
  6. Nov 20, 2011
    animalfarm

animalfarm Chillin' with the herd

Raw eggs, boiled are fine.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    Cornish Heritage

Cornish Heritage Overrun with beasties

We feed our pigs raw eggs regularly & never had a problem. (Many other pig breeders do the same.) Now some folks out there say that cooked are better as the pig actually gets more nutrients out of them but there are times when I don't have time to cook them. If we get a load then I will cook up a big potful & mash them with the potato masher. Now of course I am talking here about eggs from here on the farm. I make ice cream for us with raw eggs & it is delicious but I always caution folks when purchasing eggs from the store - that is a totally different matter - goodness knows what conditions those eggs have been in!

Liz
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' with the herd

Anyone feeding grass clippings and shredded leaves?
  9. Nov 24, 2011
    MillieMoo

MillieMoo Exploring the pasture

Yes, all the time.
  10. Nov 24, 2011
    animalfarm

animalfarm Chillin' with the herd

The following is an exert from the Merck Veterinary manual. www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/182701.htm

Biotin:
    This vitamin is present in a highly available form in corn and soybean meal, but the biotin in grain sorghum, oats, barley, and wheat is less available to pigs. There is evidence that when these latter cereal grains are fed to swine, especially breeding animals, biotin may be marginal or deficient. Reproductive performance in sows appears to improve with biotin additions. Though not as clear, there is evidence that reproductive performance also is improved with addition of biotin to corn-soybean meal diets. In some instances, biotin supplementation decreased footpad lesions in adult pigs. For insurance, biotin supplementation is recommended, especially for sow diets. Raw eggs should not be fed to pigs because the egg white contains a protein, avidin, that complexes with biotin and renders it unavailable.

I have a lot of spare eggs around here with all my chicken projects running amok. I also feed a diet based on wheat and since I am breeding my sows, I boil the eggs. I chose not to take the chance of raw eggs with the volume they get. I have been known to throw some dirty or cracked raw eggs in their direction rather then risk breaking yet another egg in my pocket on the eventual trip back to the house. The source of the eggs is not relevant to the effects they have on the pig; just on us. :D