What were we thinking?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What were we thinking?

We started getting the girls bred... Calculated the due dates for day 150.
UGH :hit We are gonna FREEZE!:eek:

Jan 9 Nigie x Nigie
Jan 11 F-1 Mini mancha x F-1 Mini Mancha
Jan 16 Nigie x Nigie

Feb 27 Lamancha x Nigie for F-1 Mini's
Mar 2 Nigie x Nigie
Mar 5 Nubian x Nigie for F-1 mini's

the first 3 all within a week and then the next 3 same thing! :th

Next ones won't be bred til December/January! May /June kids!
Thank goodness! :p

Hopefully I can get some pics soon! :D

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm panicking too, even for March 1st! I can't even imagine January and February :eek: We're in the mountains and I'm very concerned about our spring lambs. Of course, the ram is already out there. I can't figure out where my brain was when I decided that October 5th was a good idea :hu

Are goats kidding and sheep lambing in the cold any different? Maybe sheep are hardier? Or do goats have an easier time?

I bet there's going to be an ice storm and that will be the night...

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Haha it will be ok! We had 2 ft of snow on valentines day last year and the next day my ewe had triplets. I hate being cold just as much as the next guy but I was out there for hours with them and I didnt even notice because I was distracted by my cute little lambs and shocked my ewe had triplets again in a row lol.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Three feet of snow and newborns who are certain they belong in the middle of a drift is the norm for lambing season.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
yes SBC what were you thinking? lol. just have a good place to put them if you need it and they'll do fine. i haven't bred anyone yet but will start in about 10 days, mid march isn't to bad. now the ram didn't listen to well when i spoke to him about waiting and i will have lambs in feb. dang it! will be waiting for pictures

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking about the weather either! I just knew I was selling the buck and I wanted kids to sell this year. So this is what I am looking at.

Jan. 11th
Jan. 12th
Jan. 16th
Feb. 21st

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice and @goats&moregoats maybe ya'll could text each other or talk on the phone to keep each other company on those long, freezing, cold, probably raining, or snowing, let's throw in some ice, dark, wintery, nights in the barn waiting for a doe to gift you with babies. And she'll have them while you're gone back to the house for more hot chocolate. ;)

Latest posts